Saturday, January 21, 2017

Outdoor Photography with Dylin Wen: Picture Format

Outdoor Photography with Dylin Wen


Picture Format


"Horizontal or vertical? Since most of us photographers shoot at least a proportion of photographs with a 35mm camera, we're generally working with a rectangular format (L.L.Bean 50).


Picture formatting is a great and easy way to enhance your picture taking skills. Not only can it significantly affect the meaning behind the picture but it also can make it look nice overall.

So what is Picture Formatting?
Picture formatting is the way the camera is turned or angled. The two types of picture formatting are identified as horizontal or vertical, horizontal being the longer x-axis while the vertical being the longer y-axis. Not only does this change the way the photo looks but it also gives a whole new tone to the photo. A horizontal format tends to create a more peaceful, harmonizing affect while a vertical format can promote a greater sense of energy (L.L.Bean 50).

Vertical View of a Tukwila Pond

Learning about what picture formatting could do to a picture motivated me even more to go out and take pictures. As I was passing by a pond in Tukwila, I couldn't help but admire the scenery. The vertical format of the pond gives a more mysterious feel to the image while if you get verything in the horizontal format, it feels calmer.



Which type of format do you prefer to use?
Horizontal View of the same Tukwila Pond

8 comments:

  1. I love your post! I just got into photography as well. To answer your question I prefer the horizontal view because it shows more of the landscape than the vertical view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Vicki! I also semi-recently just got into photography as well. I strongly agree with your opinion of preferring horizontal view over vertical views because I feel as if it gives more of an experience to the viewer.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dylin! I really enjoy reading your blogs. There're very informative and your photos are amazing! To quickly answer your question, I prefer to use the horizontal view. This is because I love taking nature and landscape photos, but I think it really depends on the subject and the framing of the photo. How do you decide on the camera orientation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blogs Michelle! I believe it all depends on your own opinion whether to take a horizontal or vertical view of an object or landscape. Personally, I like taking a photo of the same object with both camera orientations so that I can get the feel of both perspectives.

      Delete
  3. To answer your question I prefer the horizontal landscape types of pictures, as it gives the viewers more to look at since we don't tend to look up most of the time. I think most of the time it really depends on the type of look you're going for and what you're taking a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and prefer the horizontal landscape type of photo over vertical but I also think it all depends on what the you are looking at and what fits best.

      Delete
  4. Hey Dylin
    To start off with I prefer to take horizontal picture whenever I'm taking pictures of the landscape because it allows people to see more of the landscape. But most other times it also depends on what you are taking a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dylin! I agree that formatting can completely change the meaning of the photograph. It all depends on what I am photographing when I decide whether I like the vertical or horizontal view best. In your examples, I like the vertical angle better because the trees frame the pond nicely and that makes the image feel more private.

    ReplyDelete