Tuesday, January 24, 2017

3-D Geometric Origami Post #3

Nathan Cho
Geometric Origami #3

Today's modules are very similar to the previous build as they both have the same shape and purpose. The module is called the Simple Square Module which is by Bennett Arnstein which is very similar to the Flat Unit which I made last time. The reason why i chose this is because I don't think I built the previous module well so i wanted to try again by making the Simple Square Module. I think one of the reasons why i had trouble with the previous module was assembling all the pieces together. Gurkewitz and Arnstein write "In this book the main type of lock used is what we call the Point and Pocket" (Gurkewitz and Arnstein 12). The Point and Pocket system has the each module contain a point and pocket where each point fits into a pocket.

Step 1: So to begin with you're going to want to fold the sides to the opposite sides and the corners to the opposite corners. Using the folds as a reference point, fold the corners into the center of the paper.

Step 2: Turn the paper around and fold the bottom of the paper into the center so you'll have a triangle sticking out. Repeat this for all other sides of the and you should have something what looks like a square again.



Step 3: Like any other module the Simple Square Module uses Points and Pockets to help lock piece together. The points of this module are the corners and the pockets are on both sides of the module so each point has a pocket. Using 12 modules you can create a cuboctahedron.
Notes:
So folding all the modules and assembling the modules took around an hour. Again the hardest part was the assembly as I some points wouldn't stay in place or some pockets were too small. to help keep the modules together I used tape to hold some pieces together

Question:
So while folding I easily lost track of time and the hour flew by pretty quickly. The question I want to ask is, when folding origami of any kind are you conscious about the time you've spent on folding or do you just zone out and time is no longer a factor to you  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan
    I like your Origami and I like how you spend and hour on just one Origami. To answer your question since my Origami is not advance I don't get lost in the track of time since the origami that I do take about 10 minute long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Azzahra, i think it's great that you're able to create and enjoy origami in such a short amount of time and i'm sure i would too but the form of origami that my book teaches is long and repetitive which i think is the reason why i can lose track of time so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nathan. I really like this question. I seem to have the same problem as you I start folding my piece and I look up a bit later and suddenly the time has completely flow by. Although I always just keep this in mind and make sure I have plenty of time before starting so that I never have to rush. Although afterwards even though it takes awhile I'm always happy with what the result ends up being.

    ReplyDelete