Monday, January 23, 2017

Drawing: Realistic Techniques Part 2

Hello everyone! For my second post, I decided to focus on drawing in one-point perspective. In this lesson in the book You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler, Kistler teaches step by step on how to draw a city in one-point perspective. One of the main techniques that is taught in this lesson is using a vanishing point. Kistler defines a vanishing point as "a drawing technique involving alignment of all objects to a single focal point in a picture" (Kistler 172). A vanishing point is important when adding perspective and can help a drawing look more realistic. Here is a picture of my finished drawing of a city in one-point perspective:



In this drawing, the buildings and road appear to vanish in the far distance at a single point, which gives the picture depth. I never understood the concept of a vanishing point before and how to make a picture look like it disappears in the distance, but this lesson has really helped improve my understanding and skill of how to do that. I learned how to take a flat surface and add some depth and perspective to it by drawing and using the vanishing point technique. I believe this new technique that I learned can really give a drawing more realistic qualities and features and can help a drawing stand out more. This lesson of how to draw in a one point perspective has really expanded my knowledge of different drawing techniques and has helped me develop more realistic techniques in my own drawings.

What do you think of this drawing? What are some areas that I could improve on? Do you believe that a vanishing point can help add depth and perspective to a picture?


Kistler, Mark. You Can Draw in 30 Days. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo, 2011. Print.

6 comments:

  1. I think your drawing looks amazing Rachel! You could probably improve on making the buildings more unique and not just all look the same, this could make it more realistic. I do believe that a vanishing point helps add depth and perspective to a picture because it lets you see it at an angle and view of what you would normally see. As somebody who is also working on their art skills, I think this is fantastic and I might try and incorporate this technique into some of my drawings. Thank you for sharing this, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee! I agree with you about how making the buildings more unique would add more realistic qualities to my drawing, and also about how the vanishing point lets you see an and angle you normally see at. I will definitely take your advice into consideration for my next drawing.

      Delete
  2. Great drawing! The perspective is consistent throughout the picture and perfectly symmetrical. I see you did do some shading to add depth, but adding some more can show more detail and add to the perspective of your work. Not necessary, but it's good to combine techniques in your art. Overall, the drawing is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richie! I agree with you about how adding some more shading can give the drawing more detail and perspective, and I will definitely give your advice some thought.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel,
    This is an excellent drawing, especially for your first time trying a new technique. You could improve it by adding some more shading to make it look more realistic, but the more simplistic style is also great. I think the vanishing point is an wonderful way to add depth to a photo, and you did a good job of utilizing the advantages of this new technique to give your photo a more realistic perspective. Over all, I think you should be proud of this drawing: It's neat and encompasses the idea of a vanishing point perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phoenix! This was my first time using the vanishing point technique, and overall I think I did a good job as well. I do agree with your advice about adding more shading to make the picture look more realistic, and I will definitely give it some thought for my next drawing.

      Delete