Friday, January 27, 2017

You Can Knit: LEAN MEAN KNITTING MACHINE!!


Finally, after making four different swatches, I am now ready to make an actual project. In this blog, I will show you how I made this cool color block scarf. Out of all of the projects in my book, I chose the color block scarf. I chose this scarf because I liked the pattern and it looked cool in the book. This scarf was pretty easy to make because it used the easiest stitch which was the garter stitch. The only thing that I disliked about making this scarf was how boring it was. It was boring because it was very repetitive.

Color Block Scarf


Materials

-        1 skein of super bulky yarn (any color)
-        1 skein of super bulky yarn (a contrast color to the first skein of yarn)
-        Size US 10 knitting needles
-        Tape measure
-        Yarn needle
-        Scissors
-         Yarn needle

Gauge

-        11 stitches x 26 rows = 4”

STEP 1

If you don’t already know what the first step is, I don’t know what to say. The first step it to cast-on, obviously. For this scarf, you’ll need to cast-on 10 stitches. Use your contrast color for the first part of the scarf.

STEP 2

Knit with your contrast color until it is 7 ½ inches long.

STEP 3

Now it’s time to add your main color onto the scarf. Cut the contract color from the yarn, leaving about a 6-inch tail. Take you main color, and tie a knot around the tail of the contrast color and continue knitting.

STEP 4

Continue knitting with your main color until you reach 47 inches. A tip while doing this step it to "stop every few rows to count the stitches on your needle and make sure you haven't added or dropped any" (White 32). Doing this will help you catch your mistakes, and  if you catch them earlier, it'll be easier to fix.

STEP 5

Repeat step 3 to change back to you contrast color. Knit you contrast color for another 7 inches. To keep the scarf consistent "make sure you join the yarn on the same edge you did previously" (White 33).

STEP 6

The final step is to bind off and weaving in the ends. Undo all of the knots throughout the scarf that connect the main and contrast color, and weave them in. now bind off the end of your scarf.

NOTE: If you do not know how to bind off and weave in the ends, check out my very first blog post for detailed instructions.

STEP 7 (optional)

For this optional step, you can make pom-poms to attach to the ends of your scarf. I skipped this step because I prefer my scarf without the pom-poms. 

 After reading my blog(s), would you consider knitting?

White, Stephanie. You Can Knit!: Knit and Purl Your Way through 12 Fun and Easy Projects. Cincinnati, OH: Fons & Porter, 2015. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment