Thursday, January 26, 2017

Knitting on Circle Looms: Part 5

Reflection time!

Hello guys and welcome to my fifth and final blog post. For my last post, I have decided to reflect over my previous projects and look at how much I have learned, improved and mastered in the last 3 months. 

In my first post, I learned about two different stitches: the purl stitch and knit stitch. I applied that knowledge to knitting a scarf. It turned out to be pretty difficult for me because of the alternating patterns so the design got messed up in many areas. Through that project, I learned that to be a good knitter you should not rush but take your time! Denise Layman, author of Learn to Knit on Circle Looms emphasized that, there are many skill levels for knitting so work at your own pace (Layman 30). 

Place where I rushed and made a mistake
My first successful and favorite project was knitting hats. Although knitting a hat may seem more time consuming and complicated than knitting a scarf, I found it very easy! I was successful with knitting my hat because through learning from my mistakes in my first post, I took my time and learned to fix my mistakes rather than just leave them. This gave me the confidence to make another hat, not for myself but as a gift for someone else. I also realized that giving a gift that you spent time making and creating rather than just buying gives it much more meaning!

The third and final project I created was a headband. I was really proud of this project because I decided to step it up and add a twist on the front of the headband to create a better design. Although this step was optional, I still went for it and I am really happy with the results! Layman said, "Level intermediate: add an optional twist on the front of the band" (Layman 18). This skill set was for an intermediate leveled knitter while I only did projects that were meant for beginners! Knitting has taught me to challenge myself and always strive for something better. 

Overall, I am really glad that I chose knitting as my new hobby because it is a lifelong skill that I will cherish and hold. Thank you for reading! 


Question: How do you think a hobby or new skill can affect your life?

Citation: Layman, Denise. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms: 10 Easy Projects! Berne, IN: DRG Pub., 2006. Print. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sabica, I agree with you that giving somebody a present that you did yourself gives it much more meaning than buying it. I think it's really cool that you chose to do something that is unique, and what not many people chose to do. Your hats also turned out very pretty and now you can say that you made it yourself!

    ReplyDelete