Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

For my fourth blog post, I decided to create double chocolate oatmeal cookies. The recipe seemed easy enough, so I decided to try out the recipe.

Directions
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

"Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar margarine, water, vanilla, and egg in 2 1/2 quart bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet" (Crocker 47).


When I was mixing in the ingredients, the mixture seemed to be very dry and hard to move around. So I decided to try using an electric mixer, which helped greatly. The dough became smoother and easier to stir.

I also substituted the quick cooking oats to a one minute oats for oatmeal. I wasn't sure if it would turn out all right, but I couldn't find the quick cooking oats.

Does anyone know what isle they are in at the grocery store or where I could find them?

As the cookies were baking in the oven, I realized that by the time the timer was over, the cookies were still raw in certain areas. For some reason, when I put the cookies in for 10 to 12 minutes, the cookies would either be raw or over baked. I tried putting less and more cookie dough with both the same and different time frames, just by adding a couple of minutes. I couldn't get the cookies to come out perfectly. They were mostly a little overbaked. My cookies were also kind of dry. I think it has to do with the fact that I substituted the quick cooking oats for the one minute oats for oatmeal.

Overall, despite the recipe looking simple, it turned out to be very complex for me. The cookies were dry and overbaked.

Does anyone know how I could improve the cookies to make sure that they aren't over or under baked and not dry? 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley! And to answer you second question, first. I do have a pretty solid way of improving the way your cookies come out each time. Basically when the book says 20-25 minutes (or something like that) just set the timer for 20 minutes. Then once the timer runs out take out the cookies and poke a couple with a toothpick, if when you pull the toothpick out theirs batter clinging to the toothpick put the cookies back in for a few more minutes. Also try finding your oven manual or something similar and see if the manufacturer recommends a certain level of rack thew cookies be placed on to cook. Also with your first question you may want to search it up but as far as I know the quick cook oats are about the same thing as the one minute oat there's just a branding difference.

    ReplyDelete