Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Drawing: Realistic Techniques Part 3

Hi everyone! For my third blog post, I decided to focus on the technique of using a two-point perspective. In my previous blog post, I showed how I used the one-point perspective technique by using a vanishing point to create a city where the buildings seem to vanish in the distance. I now want to show you how I used a two-point perspective to draw a picture. In this lesson in the book You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler, Kistler teaches step by step on how to create a castle in two-point perspective. Kistler defines two-point perspective as "using two guide dots on a horizon line to draw an object above and below your eye level" (Kistler 186). Here is a picture of my finished drawing of a castle in two-point perspective:


Like the one-point perspective drawing technique, the two-point perspective drawing technique can also give a picture depth and perspective. The only difference is that the two-point perspective has two vanishing points instead of one. This technique, similar to the one-point perspective technique, gives the drawing more realistic and complex qualities and features because it allows you to see the picture at an angle that you would normally see it at. In this drawing, the two point perspective makes you feel like you are looking directly at the middle of the castle and the castle seems to vanish or get farther away to the left and to the right. I also used some of the shading techniques I learned as well from previous posts that also helped give this picture a realistic feel to it. I believe that this two-point perspective technique, along with the one-point perspective and the shading techniques, can really make a picture stand out and can give it more depth. This lesson in the book has expanded on and added to my knowledge and understanding of a vanishing point by using two vanishing points instead of one to give a picture a different perspective and more realistic features and qualities to it.

So what do you think of this drawing? Do you think that it turned out better than my last drawing? Does the one-point perspective technique or the two-point perspective technique give a drawing more depth and perspective?


Kistler, Mark. You Can Draw in 30 Days. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo, 2011. Print.

1 comment:

  1. I'm honestly in love with the one-point perspective since I'm more used to drawing one-point. But your drawing of the two-point perspective looks great and definitely interests me on drawing from two-point more.

    ReplyDelete