Thursday, January 26, 2017

Drawing: Realistic Techniques Part 4

Welcome back everyone! For my fourth blog post I decided to focus on the techniques of drawing a human face. In this lesson in the book You Can Draw in 30 Days by Mark Kistler, Kistler says "let's learn how to draw a face looking straight at you. For centuries, artists have divided the human figure into mathematical sections in order to transfer the image from the real world to their paper" (Kistler 222). Kistler gives step by step instructions on how to draw a human face and explains the techniques that are used to draw a face. Here is a picture of my finished drawing of a human face:


In this drawing, I used multiple techniques to help create a realistic image of the human face. I have always struggled with drawing a face so I never really gave it a try before. I always thought a face was complex and that there were many components to it, making it hard to draw. But after reading this lesson in the book and following the steps that were given, I learned that drawing a face actually wasn't so hard, and that it was easier than I thought it would be. I know that my drawing isn't perfect, but for my first time drawing a face, I think it turned out pretty nice, what do you think?

Is there anything that I could improve on to make my drawing more realistic?


Kistler, Mark. You Can Draw in 30 Days. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo, 2011. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! If you want the face to look more realistic, you should focus on shading parts of the face and adding details to the eyes, such as the iris lines and eyelashes. This will add more detail to the drawing and make it look more like a real face.

    ReplyDelete