Sunday, January 29, 2017

Rocky Road Cookies

For my final blog, I'm attempting to bake Rocky Road Cookies. I've never had these before, so this will not only be a new baking experience, but a new tasting experience. I really hope this turns out better than the last few.

Directions
  • 1 package (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • About 4 dozen miniature marshmallows
"Heat 1/2 cup of  the chocolate chips and the margarine over low heat until melted; cool. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix remaining chocolate chips, the chocolate mixture, and remaining ingredients except marshmallows. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Press a marshmallow in center of each. bake until almost no indentation when touched, about 8 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet" (Crocker 47). 

I didn't add the nuts because of my allergies, but if you do, tell me how you like them!

When I first attempted to melt the chocolate chips and the butter, I ended up burning the chocolate. I left it alone for too long, so the chocolate on the bottom, burned and stuck to the pot. My second attempt was a success. It came out silky and smooth.


When adding the marshmallows, I dug a tiny whole in the middle to stick them in. Once they were in, I made sure they were completely covered by the dough all around

These cookies came out surprisingly well. They were cooked very well and they tasted good. I have learned that baking takes a lot of time, patience, and effort. You have to be precise in everything that you do, or something could go wrong. I have realized that baking is absolutely not for me. While this experience was challenging, I have also enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, your cookies look scrumptious! Previously, I myself have made these cookies as well, they're absolutely delicious! When making them myself, with tips from other recipes, I had found that using marshmallow fluff for the inside of the cookies rather than using actual marshmallows makes them much more gooier and soft inside, maybe that could be a suggestion/recommendation from me to you to use in the future? Once again thanks for sharing your experience, those cookies look AMAZING! - Rahzia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also doing baking and yes it is a difficult skill to master, I almost started a fire on my cookies for my post about chocolate and mint cookies. What do you think would happen if you didn't cover the marshmallows completely? Do you think it would make a mess or melt over the top a bit?

    ReplyDelete