Saturday, January 28, 2017

Asian-Style Mango Nata


Asian-Style Mango Nata

Welcome back to my blog! Previously, I made Turon which is a Filipino dessert. For my fifth and last blog post I am making another dessert, it is the Asian-Style Mango Nata. Compared to the dishes I previously made, Asian-Style Mango Nata is easier to do. I decided to make this dessert to finish off my blog for this project, because I believe that it embodies the Filipino culture the most. The dessert itself exhibits the simplicity of the Filipino way of living. The mangoes represent the sweet personality of Filipinos. As a matter of fact, the Philippine mango is the national fruit of the Philippines. 

Let's start cooking!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 pieces whole mango, meat cubed
  • 4 cups mango juice
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose cream
  • 1 bottle nata de coco, drained and wash
  • 1 cup crushed ice

Procedure:
1. Boil water and sugar until sugar has dissolved.
2. Pour the cornstarch water mixture into the syrup.
3. Stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth. Let cool.
4. Add cubed mango, mango juice and all-purpose cream into the syrup mixture then stir.
5. Mix in nata de coco, and stir.
6. Chill before serving.
7. Scoop some crushed ice into each glass before topping with the mango nata cream.

(Ozaeta 122)

Timpla Tip:
"Using cream gives you a thicker consistency when serving this dessert. Be sure to chill the dessert for at least an hour to give it time to set" (Ozaeta 122). Through this Timpla tip, it didn't just help me in making this dessert, it also taught me a lesson that I would be able to use for future dishes that involve using cream.

Even though making it isn't as complicated as the other dishes I made, I was still able to learn some quite significant things. One of it is that the ingredients being used are important, the mangoes should neither be too ripe or unripe. The components should be properly proportioned too, so that one won't overpower the other.

This dessert is indeed refreshing, it reminds me of the hot climate in the Philippines. It is something that is recommendable to serve during the summer. The Asian-Style Mango Nata I made was sweet and it was actually tasty. I enjoyed creating it, especially the last part where I get to put on the glass and make it even more appetizing.



My blog may have come to and end, but I will continue my cooking journey to venture and taste more kinds of flavors from different cuisines. Throughout this cooking journey of mine, I was able to learn many different types of cooking techniques, especially the Filipino way of it. It also made me conquer my fear of cooking and taught me to become more patient. I enjoyed this experience so much, and I hope you did too. Thank you for reading my blog, and I hope through it you were able to know more about the Filipino cuisine. If you were to pick a dish that embodies your culture, what would it be and why?

Works Cited:
Fontanilla, Marilen, and Anne Marie Ozaeta, eds. Timpla. First Edition ed. Makati City: Hinge Inquirer Publications, 2010. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elijah,
    Your Asian-style Mango Nata looks delicious, and unique! I like how you picked out a food that embodies your culture. If I were to pick a dish that embodies my culture, it would be pita, a Romanian dish. My family makes pita every year on New Years Eve, and puts a coin in the middle. Whoever gets that coin in their piece gets good luck for the rest of the year. Anyways, thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete