Tuesday, January 24, 2017

ART- Drawing, Painting, and Photography - The Artist's Handbook

On my last few post I wanted to focus more on photography as there are tips and how to functions within Smith's text "The Artist Handbook." While reading the book I noticed that there were very specific details that helped me understand the setting of the camera and how certain things can change the outcome.

 I first read about the aperture and lighting of a camera, that as the aperture on the setting got higher the picture becomes darker depending on your setting. Aperture is basically the hole and how small it gets, the smaller the hole the less light that's able to go through, making a dimmer picture. I found that certain apertures fit towards the type of setting and environment you're in.

What I liked most about the digital cameras were that as you changed the lenses it gave certain aspects towards it. "A 35mm single lens reflex. This is extremely versatile and can be used for original work...the film size is large enough to be able to produce images on fine-grain film which, when greatly enlarged, retain a reasonable crispness" (Smith 325). The crispness of picture definitely made a visual difference as well as making it look more professional.  

How else do you think I can use the aperture to my advantage?
If you were to have a camera, what'd be the first thing you photographed?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alida!
    You can use aperture in a lot of ways, including blurring, emphasis on subject, etc. A way that I often use when I took photos was to blur out objects in the background to create a mood to the overall picture. It creates a suspense type of feeling, making the viewer anticipate more into the background. This then creates a unity tying the background and the subject together, making a line of view between the two. The first thing I (would) have photographed is a cliff under a night sky, with the moon. Using the rule of thirds, the emphasis would then be on the moon, and the viewer would be wooed by the scenery. Although this wouldn't be a very meaningful photo, I would try and add some meaning to it, making the critic perceive a deeper meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as you experienced with creating more depth to your photo by blurring out the back I also tried to do the same as you can see. It most definitely created more emotion and suspenseful feeling. I really like your idea of a cliff and the moon, although you may not think it wouldn't have deeper meaning it actually would. The way you take the picture and make the viewer persevere it could change and determine the deeper meaning that they have of your photo. Thanks for reading my post, your comment about aperture and creating that emphasis on the subject was fairly helpful on my part!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete