Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Raisin Treats - Real Sweet


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Raisin Treats                                                                             ~Neetu Buttar

Today I am going to show you how to make some delicious treats that you can take where ever you go. The reason I decided to make these treats today is because "this formula manages to take a whole bunch of superfoods and turn them into something that walks the line between an energy bar and a ball of cookie dough" (Sever 41). This is such a simple and healthy yet delicious treat that is quite easy to make. This treat can also be made very quickly, if you are in a rush!

First off, I will list the ingredients needed down below:
  • dates, tightly packed; 1 c.
  • old-fashioned rolled oats; 1 &3/4 c.
  • raisins; 3/4 c.
  • bittersweet chocolate chips; 1/3 c.
  • peanut butter; 2-3 tbsp.
  • chia seeds; 1 tsp.
  • ground cinnamon; 1/2 tsp.
  • pure vanilla extract; 3/4 tsp.
  • salt; 1/8 tsp (pinch)                           (Sever 41).
Next off to actually get to making these tasty treats, you are going to need to follow a few directions. "Once you got the dates, oats, and chia seeds in the mix, there are about a million ways to riff on these treats" (Sever 41). This is one reason why I love making these kinds of treats, because you can make these treats to your liking.
  1. Place the dates in a bowl full of hot water for about 10 minutes, so they can soften up.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in a food processer, and blend until mixture is a consistency of dough. Feel free to add more of any ingredient, when you feel it is necessary.
  3. Portion out the small pieces of the dough and roll them into balls.
  4. Refrigerate until the treats are nice and firm.                                                        (Sever 41).




End Result:
I think that these chocolate chip oatmeal raisin treats have been one of the best treats I have made so far on my blog. There was a nice texture to the firm dough, so it wasn't so hard or so crumbly. The one thing that I would have added would have been a light chocolate drizzle on top to make it a little bit more sweet. Overall, these treats turned out great and I am for sure going to make them again!

Question: What would you add or take away from this treat to make it the right balance for you?
  • Sever, Shauna, and Leigh Beisch. Real Sweet: More than 80 Crave- worthy Treats Made with Natural Sugars . New York: William Morrow, 2015. Print.   

2 comments:

  1. Neetu, your treats look amazing! To answer your question, if I were to make these I would most likely take out the raisins, due to the fact that the cookies already have dates in them, which are very similar to raisins. May I suggest that you consider folding in the chocolate chips into the cookies and leave them whole rather than pulse them? that way the texture of the chocolate chips that everyone loves will still be in them! Once again your cookies look delightful! - Rahzia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neetu, I am sure that your cookies turned out delicious! Really, cooking is all about personal taste and preference, so it's good to get creative and have fun with it. If I were making them though, I'd probably omit the dates, as I am not a huge fan of them. Other than that though, I'd want to try them myself!

    ReplyDelete