Saturday, January 21, 2017

Knitting on Circle Looms: Part 3

Finishing my Hat!

Hello all and welcome back to my blog! In my previous post I began the process of knitting a hat and have finally finished. Using tips from my previous blog, I completed a project that was good quality and wasn't rushed. 

Throughout my journey of knitting I have learned to focus on on the quality of what I am creating rather than how quickly I can make the product because it determines whether or not you are happy with the outcome. Knitting has taught me to keep moving forward but to fix your mistakes as you go along.
My hat (Left) and the hat I made for my niece (Right)

Denise Layman, author of Learn to Knit on Circle Looms, said, "All of these knitting loom projects will surely make wonderful gifts to share with your friends and family" (Layman 2). This made me realize that making something for yourself feels great but putting time and effort into a project then giving it to someone makes you feel even better! Because of this, I knit a hat for my one year old niece!

In my last post, I finished the brim of my hat, and for this post I am going to finish the rest of my hat. Layman pointed out that, finishing your knitting project is the best part because you finally get to see all the hard work you have put in! (Layman 16).

To finish your hat, you will need:

- a plastic knitting needle (in addition to the materials needed in my last post)

Steps:

1. Repeat the same steps from my previous post
2. Cut off the yarn and cut off an extra 2 ft. of yarn
3. Use a plastic knitting needle to sew the extra yarn through each peg of the loom 
4. Take each knit off the peg and tightly tie each end together

Question: Do you feel more accomplished when you use your skills for yourself or for others? Comment down below!



Citation: Layman, Denise. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms: 10 Easy Projects! Berne, IN: DRG Pub., 2006. Print.





4 comments:

  1. Your hats look great Sabica! Whenever I gain a skill I already feel accomplished, but when I can apply my skills to help others I feel like an expert. After finishing so many projects, do you think you can refer to yourself as a knitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janna, thank you for replying! To answer your question, I would consider myself a knitter but I am most definitely still a beginner. I can only do simple projects and know around 2 or 3 different stitches out of the many that exist. Although, over time I hope that I can practice enough to become an expert!

      Delete
  2. The hats looks amazing!! To answer your question I feel more accomplish using my skills towards other because I know I'm happy with my skills, but to share my skills to others is the best feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vicki! Thanks for replying! I agree with you because when I share my skills it not only makes me happy but (hopefully) it makes the person receiving the gift happy as well!

      Delete