Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Smart Defenders and Base-running

FIELDING

I've been playing baseball all my life and still haven't perfected the art of catching a fly ball. To me, judging where a fly ball is going to land is the hardest thing to do as a defender on the field. Although my main position is in the outfield, I can tell that an outfielder gets a much larger applaud from their team when they catch a fly ball than infielders do when they simply field a grounder. Adair agrees that a ball hit straight to a player is the most difficult to judge and balls that are hit at different distances can look fairly similar initially (148). If you've ever played on a baseball team for more than a year, you've definitely heard the overused phrase "first step back". This line is said by almost every team to express how you must make stepping back your first instinct the moment the ball is hit because you can cover more ground running forward than you can from behind. "If he waits a couples of seconds to start running, he won't cover the 50 feet he needs to in order to catch the short fly that lands after another 3 seconds" (149). Outfielders have to make judgments, calculate distances, and maintain certain fundamentals in the matter of seconds while under the pressure of catching a ball. Unlike the infield, outfields don't have someone behind them to back them up if they make a mistake.

Basic fielding techniques for ground balls
Infielders have more plays to handle during a baseball game than outfielders do. I personally have not played a lot of infield recently and still struggle with fielding even an easy ground ball. There are many complexities with fielding and throwing a baseball during one single play. "A ball thrown 135 feet by the shortstop or third baseman to the first baseman's glove will take about 1.09 seconds. A player who throws a ball 5 mph slower will allow the runner to travel 2 feet farther" (155). This two foot difference will play a big role in an umpire calling the runner safe or out. To practice strengthening my arm and fielding tactics, I find it effective to throw a tennis ball against any large surface to practice basic fundamentals. The more comfortable I feel when I field a baseball, the greater the chance that I will make a better throw during a game. So, consistently practicing allows me to stay in my comfort zone even during pressure-filled moments.

Outfielders provide a strong line of defense that their entire team depends on during a game. Infielders are consistently pounded with plays that they must routinely make. Which position do you believe has the harder job during a game?

Adair, Robert Kemp. The Physics of Baseball. New York: Harper & Row, 1990. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Makoa! I really liked how you compared the infield to the outfield. I have played both infield and outfield and i agree with the idea of the outfielders having the harder job. Being relied on to catch the pop fly's, calculating distances and predicting where the ball may land. And having the arm strength to get the ball to the next play or destination. Infielders have important jobs as well, being able to do multiple plays have fast reaction time. But i think outfielders have the harder job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jorja! I see your point as to why you think it's tougher for an infielder, but I have to disagree with you. Being mostly an outfielder, I find it harder to have to catch balls and throw them incredible distances with precision accuracy. I may not have as much experience recently in the infield, but I know how difficult it is to constantly have to make multiple plays at once.

      Delete
  2. Makoa,

    Agreed judging exactly where a ball is going to land in the outfield is very difficult. Thankfully, what really gets your team pumped up and the crowd roaring are diving catches at the last possible second. This is exactly why you'll see me wait at least five seconds after a pop fly is hit, purely so I can make a diving play and look good.

    In regards to who's job is harder, well, it all is in comparison to your skill. As someone who's main positions are shortstop and centerfield, I can tell you that they are both played very differently. If you are a fast player with a strong arm and an eagle eye, outfield is for you. However if you suit quickness, knowledge and communication, the infield is where you belong.

    Terrific post,

    Severin Antone

    ReplyDelete