Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Softball: Swing

In this blog post I will be talking about the swing. Batting has always been one of the hardest things to do. Being able to  follow through after you hit the ball has always been a struggle for me. Making eye contact with the ball then swinging at just the right time to hit the ball and finally following through after making contact.

"The hitter needs to keep the bat above forearm level (a line passing from the elbow through the hand), and the front arm maintains a 90 degree angle" ( Veroni 59 ).
"As the bat head moves closer to contact, the top hand begins to rotate so the that contact the palm is nearly facing up... the back leg continues to drive into a now firm (not locked) front leg, and the back foot begins to turn towards the pitcher" ( Veroni 59 ).


In these here pictures, are the steps that Veroni describes herself. First picture the front elbow in a 90 degree angle, and bat is at forearm level. Also keeping my arms in place but relaxed also keeping my front foot further in front than my back foot to keep balance. And as you continue to swing the bat your wrist begins to turn underneath the bat and your body and hips turn and face the pitcher. And as you make contact with the ball, you follow though with your swing to get the ball to go as far as possible.

But some softball players have their own technique. And they swing whats most comfortable for them to make contact with the ball.
 





 Do you think an athlete would be better off swinging what's comfortable, or whats instructed?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jorja,
    I really liked the informative and in depth blog post. Ever since I was a kid I have been attached to baseball. For me, I hit the baseball/softball the way that's most comfortable to me. To answer the question, I think it all depends on how the athlete feels rather than what is instructed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylin! Thank you for your feedback. And yes I would have to agree with you. But I also believe that if someone practices with instructions enough it can become natural and they can become comfortable with that swing, but if they already have a strong and powerful swing then they can be better off whats comfortable.

    ReplyDelete