Sunday, January 29, 2017

Origami Rose

Since this is my final post, I wanted to try a particularly tricky origami. I picked the rose since it not only look complex, but it also required attaching multiple parts with difficult folds.

The piece started off with making six of the same piece. This starts off by folding the paper in half diagonally and then to fold it corner to corner to create a crease.

The next fold is to fold the triangle corners against the crease I just created. Since this is a fold that typically ends up messy for me, I turned to the beginning of the book to see if there was a trick that could help me. The books says "hold the corner in place with your left forefinger and make the crease with your right thumb" (Nakano 6). I'm glad to say that my fold turned out significantly cleaner than it was previously. 
The book then says to "overlap the two front flaps and glue them together" (Nakano 57). 
I repeated this five more times as stated by the book to not only have everything ready for the next step but to also let the glue dry for each piece. 
Once every piece was dried, I folded the overlapped corners forward as instructed by the book (Nakano 57).
I then glued the sides to each other as shown in the book. However, I ran into a problem with gluing as I used liquid glue as well as the fact that I did not wait for the glue to dry because I wanted to just glue it all at once. I also felt that I did not understand the diagram well as the folded corners got in the way when I tried to attach it all. I guess it was a little too complex for me.
The final product doesn't look the best. I'd like to be able to create a vase of origami flowers. So, is the any other way to fold the rose origami or just any other flower origami, that anyone knows of? 

2 comments:

  1. Sherry,

    I love the way your clean, finished product turned out to be at the very end. Personally, I think that using pipe cleaners or tissue paper is the best way to make an origami rose. The pipe cleaners add more effect to the design and tissue paper is more abstract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tissue paper has always been a difficult material for me to craft with. However, I am not opposed to branching out and researching a design of a rose made out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners for my vase.

      Delete