Thursday, January 26, 2017

Knitting on Circle Looms: Part 4

Knitting a Head Band!

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog! For my fourth blog post I am going to be knitting ear-warmers/a head band! I decided to knit a head band because the process is fairly simple and goes perfect with the cold weather we are experiencing.

Knitting a headband is very similar to knitting a scarf because the instructions are nearly the same. Denise Layman, author of Learn to Knit on Circle Looms said, "Repeat alternating from a purl and knit stitch until you have reached 10 inches" (Layman 11). These direction are nearly the same for creating a scarf and if you've read my first two blog post, then you probably know the struggles I had with knitting a scarf and the multiple times I made mistakes. This time I am determined to not let that happen.

Materials:

- 1 skein of yarn
- Loom hook
- Circle loom with at least 14 pegs
- 1 plastic knitting needle (usually comes with the package     of circle looms) 

Steps:

1. Start by casting on the yarn to the first peg of the loom.
2. Twist the yarn from the front to the back then on the 14th peg, turn the yarn the opposite way 
3. Start alternating from a purl stitch to a knit stitch after you have turned around (the last pegs should always be knit stitches)
4. This step is optional but it you want a twist on your design then at around 10 inches of knitting, move 8 stitches from once side of the loom to the other- creating a criss-cross affect. 
5. Then proceed as normal(following steps 2 and 3) for the next 10 inches 
6. Do this for the size of your head (mine came out to be about 20 inches long)
7. After you have finished knitting to your desired length, bring your very first row of stitches to the row you are currently working on and place the first stitches onto the pegs.
8. Cut off the yarn and an extra 2 feet of yarn
9. Put the extra yarn into the needle and sew the yarn through both stitches.
10. Remove your stitches from the pegs and enjoy your new headband!
Throughout my blog posts, I have noticed lots of improvement compared to my first knitting project. I realized that this time I made minimal mistakes because of how much I learned from my past mistakes. As Layman discusses, as you go on, your skill levels will change with the more you learn (Layman 30). I found this to be true. My first project compared to my last has shown a huge difference in technique and efficiency. Although, I accidentally made my head band a little bigger than my actual head, so it falls off easily. I might just give it to someone else who has a bigger head than me!

Question: Do you think years of experience or pure talent makes someone an expert at any skill?


Citation: Layman, Denise. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms: 10 Easy Projects! Berne, IN: DRG Pub., 2006. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment