Thursday, January 26, 2017

Best skin products

If you are reading this, welcome back to my final blog post! For these last few months I have been talking all about skin care and I have learned so much. I have talked about acne, food culprits, cleansing your skin, and ingredient culprits. And since I have only been talking about all the things that you can't use, I thought I would talk about the things you should use. Quick story; At one point not to long ago, my scalp was so itchy and dry and all around terrible. I couldn't run my fingers through my hair without at least 20 strands coming out. It was really awful and I couldn't take it so I grabbed some scissors and coconut oil. I cut the ends of my hair (not very short, just enough to freshen it up), then melted some coconut oil and put it all over my hair. And what do you know? The next day my hair was soft, shiny, and felt amazing. After that day, I became very curious; what products should I get that are essential? Since coconut oil had worked so well and I hadn't even thought about it. In the book "Skin Cleanse" by Adina Grigore, she discusses which ingredients everyone should always have on hand.

First of all, coconut oil will always be my go to. It can be used in a multitude of ways. You can put it on your face, in your hair, cook with it, get whiter teeth, etc. Grigore agrees as well that coconut oil is great for you. "Coconut oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal, meaning it will help heal rashes, scars, infections and acne. Coconut oil is full of healthy fats and antioxidants, so it offers a lot of nutrition for your skin" (Grigore, 161). But coconut oil isn't the only thing that's great for you that is easy to find. So here's a list of your new go to products.
1. Apple cider vinegar: I love using apple cider vinegar. Now of course it doesn't smell amazing but, I always use it on my scalp when it is really itchy and irritated, which takes the pain away immediately. Vinegar is great for balancing the pH levels in your skin, so you won't be too dry or too oily. You can apply it to your face or scalp, however you'd like! I would recommend one part vinegar, four parts water for the best results.
2. Sea salt: This is great for skin and clearing acne. It cleans deeply helping to remove dead skin cells, pulls toxins from pores, and balances moisture. I use this on my piercings when they get red and it always calms them down.
3. Olive oil: This is a must have for your skin care routine. Everyone has olive oil so no need to run out and go to 8 different stores looking for this. It is very light on the skin but, moisturizes deep to help with any skin aggravations. It is especially perfect for those with sensitive skin because it is so light and doesn't cause any irritations. I would recommend mixing it with essential oils, coconut oil, anything you see that might pair well with olive oil. Try different combinations to find your favorite
4. Honey: I have personally never used honey to help with my skin, but now I'm convinced I should give it a try. Honey is anti-inflammatory and hydrating for clogged pores. It is great for exfoliation and moisturizing the skin. And of course, it is so easy to find!
5. Aloe Vera: If there is one main thing you should know about me is that, I burn very easily. The summer is pretty much the worst cause I just look like a lobster. And of course, it is very uncomfortable. Aloe Vera is great for burns, which I'm pretty sure everyone knows. The reason it works so well is because it helps your skins ability to heal, moisturizes, helps fight inflammation and itchiness. It is also high in antioxidants. Thank goodness for Aloe Vera or I would be very sad in the summer time.

Since I have been raving about coconut oil, I thought I would show you one final DIY containing that amazing product. Today, I will be showing you guys how to make your own lip scrub! It is super easy and contains three products, two of which I mentioned earlier as being oh so great for you. I know personally, I own about 30 chap sticks because I would not be able to survive without them. So if this can help me with my crazy chapped lips, it can help anyone.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Directions:
Put the brown sugar and honey in a small bowl. Once completely mixed, add coconut oil and stir until all ingredients are combined. Press the scrub onto your lips and rinse off with water. While rinsing, continuing scrubbing for full effect. Your lips may be slightly sensitive after this so put on your favorite lip balm. And there you go! Your very own lip scrub. Lasts for about 5 uses however, it will harden over time.
Displaying IMG_0366.JPG
(before adding coconut oil)
Displaying IMG_0372.JPG
(after adding coconut oil)
Well, that's all! Thank you to all for reading and enjoying my blog posts, it has been a lot of fun making these and I feel that I have learned so much more about taking care of my skin for the best short term and long term effect. I also hope that I could help you in any way on your quest for clearer, better skin. Never forget, everyone has skin problems, you are not alone I promise! The last question I pose to you is, what is your go to product to achieve great skin? And remember, always take care of your skin!

Grigore, Adina. Skin Cleanse: The Simple, All Natural Program for Clean, Calm, Happy Skin. New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2015. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment