Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Daffodil Cookies


               In today’s installment of my struggle with sugar cookies I try to master the skill of daffodil sugar cookies. I decided that I was ready for a more intricate design but after attempting them I really regret that decision.

               The author, Bridget Edwards, describes these cookies as “a great go-to project when you want to make cookies and can’t decide on a design” which happened to be my case exactly (Edwards 30). As I was flipping through the book I came across these and though that they would be a good transition cookie for moving on to more detailed designs.

               I began by making the basic Vanilla-Almond Sugar cookies, leaving out the almond extract due to the fact that it is very expensive and I didn’t think it would be that necessary. I had something that resembled a daisy shape so I cut it out and then realized that the petals of these flowers would be very close together. This presented a challenge that I was not able to overcome.



I then separated the icing to tint a pastel yellow shade while leaving the other plain white. Another difficulty I encountered was the fact that I had happened to misplace all of my icing tips and was forced to use sandwich bags which made the outcome a little messier than I would have liked it to be.

 

While I was icing them I made many errors. The use of sandwich bags in the place of squeeze bottles and icing bags led me to not have as much control over when the icing came out which then caused me to have very messy lines. So much for an intricate design.



Do you guys have any ideas on how to make sandwich bags easier to handle?

1 comment:

  1. Sukhmani, your cookies turned out great! I understand your troubles with using a Ziploc bag as a alternative to a piping bag. May I suggest to answer your question that you cut the bag at an angle? this will give you a more even line when you are piping. Also you could consider to only load the Ziploc bag with a dollop of the frosting and add more in as needed, this way, you will be able to get a better grip and have better control. Overall, you did a really great job! keep it up! - Rahzia

    ReplyDelete