Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Origami Box: But Really Flat

I decided to create an origami box as it has proven to be simple enough for me to understand, but has also helped in learning a new technique that I could use for future origami projects.

For the first step, was to fold the paper in half horizontally, unfold, and then fold the sides into the center of the paper where the crease was created (Nakano 40).

Then, fold the corners of the rectangle against the line of blank paper and then pull out the hidden corners (Nakano 40). I had not understood this when I read this, but after looking at the helpful picture provided, I figured it out.

The hardest part was creating the "pull-to-perpendicular fold." According to the book, "hold the paper as shown... and draw the upper layers toward you. At the same time, push against the folded edge with your thumbs" (Nakano 40). As told, I pulled the edge from underneath the paper and pulled it upwards to stand it up as a side of the box. I did the same for the other side to create my origami box.

It's not as expertly folded I would've liked, but it certainly is a good place to put my phone charms, so I'd say this was a success. Does anybody know of other variations of origami boxes? I'd like to get a deep, sturdy one to hold my pencils.


4 comments:

  1. I like how you use pattern origami instead of plain origami paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nothing special though, just some origami paper from DAISO.

      Delete
  2. Sherry,

    I like your use of paper with designs to create your origami boxes. I used to be really into origami in 4th grade. One of my favorite things to do was create a paper box/balloon-type structure. But, I'm very precise while folding each step. Are you the same way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on what kind of project I'll be doing. If I really care about that the outcome will look like, I take my time with every fold to make sure something as silly as the blank side not showing is implemented.

      Delete