Sunday, January 1, 2017

STEP-BY-STEP Cake decorating Pt. 3 -- Ritu Buttar

Cake Decorating
For my third blogpost, I decided to switch things up and decorate a Bundt cake. The simple design I made turned out great.
"Some techniques are simple, others require practice" (Sullivan). This book shows the reader how to create easy and simple designs which the reader can master through time and practice. It offers many piping techniques which I found to be very useful in cake decorating. For this blogpost I made Italian meringue buttercream and used it to decorate my cake.
Ingredients
  • 5 large free-range pasteurized egg whites
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
  • flavoring, optional
(Sullivan 26)

 

 After I made the buttercream, I warmed it up in the microwave to make it a little thinner and easier to work with. At first I spread buttercream on the inside of the Bundt cake to make sure it was evenly distributed. I then used a star tip to start piping star borders on both the bottom and top of the cake - "Create Individual stars (below) or link them together as a border, using a medium open-star tip" (Sullivan 76).
 

Overall it think this simple design is suited for every occasion and turned out really well. I think that this cake decoration helped me improve on piping, especially with star tips.
 
 


What other piping techniques should I try?
Sullivan, Karen. Step-by-step Cake Decorating: Hundreds of Ideas, Techniques, and Projects for Creative Cake Designers. London: DK, 2013. Print.   


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ritu! I love the way your cake decorating turned out. I think that next time you could decorate a pastry more simplistic. You can add a more simple technique like lines or beads. If you want to add a little more to just lines or beads, you could make a rope or lace design.

    ReplyDelete