Monday, January 22, 2018

Taste of Vietnam: That's a Wrap

Taste of Vietnam: That's a Wrap

Nước Chấm 

made by Brandon Nguyen 


OVERVIEW

As I had said before, cooking is no easy task. I wanted to prep something simple, so I decided to try out a nước chấm recipe in Ân: To Eat

Nước chấm is a dipping sauce Vietnamese folks use on mostly everything. I most commonly eat spring rolls with nước chấm. However, I wanted to prepare broken jasmine rice, accompanied with a fried egg, sliced tomatoes, and glazed beef. I enjoy this sauce for its versatility. It can be enjoyed on almost anything. As stated by Helene and Jacqueline An, "We use it as a dip for spring rolls, to brighten seafood, to add tang to protein as a dressing for noodles and rice, and as a marinade for meat" (An Helene & Jacqueline 274). 


PREPARATION

Cooking the beef was probably the hardest procedure. To give it flavor, I first had to glaze it, using my mother's recipe. For the searing, I referenced the book. In the section "Basic Techniques," Helene and daughter Jacqueline An explains to readers how to add protein. Most helpful was when they said that, "To sear quickly and correctly, food needs enough room. Don't overcrowd the pan, as that can lead to food steaming instead of searing" (An Helene & Jacqueline 35). Frying an egg was rudimentary, and slicing the tomatoes was not difficult at all; these were things I had done before and have mastered. 



For the nước chấm, I added sugar into warm water and stirred until everything was dissolved. I then added fish sauce, rice vinegar, and garlic. To balance all the flavors, I put in some chili paste. 




Making this was not a hassle. This is something I can make on my own. I am glad I chose to make this, for it is straightforward. After making the fried rice and noodles, I found that I was overestimating myself. It became manifest that I was doing more than I can bear. 


TAKEAWAY?

My takeaway is that mastering the art of cooking is not something that happens overnight. A book cannot simply make you a better cook; only you can do that. I advise all beginner cooks to start with basic recipes. Also, follow all the instructions. Later on, you can alter the recipe to best suit your taste, but make sure to do what the book tells you to. You will find that by taking baby steps, you will eventually grow.

Creating these recipes has given me a chance to explore my culture. Vietnamese cuisine is something that means a lot to me, especially since it reminds me of my grandmother. Though I may be American, I will never forget my Vietnamese roots. I thank you all for reading these posts! I hope I had taught you all something new. Has anything given you a hard time? How can you improve?


Works Cited: 
An, Helene, and Jacqueline An. Ăn: to Eat: Recipes and Stories from a Vietnamese Family Kitchen. Running Press, 2016.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Brandon! Personally, I love to cook and make my own meals, but sadly, they never turned out the way I wanted them to. So far, the hardest part has been the execution, or the portrayal of my dish. However, after reading your posts, I started to improve my skill with practice. After I started to practice, I noticed that through my failed attempts, I gained more skill, allowing myself to be able to craft new tasty dishes, such as Phở or Cơm Chiên with expertise. Would you also say that your struggles were what taught you the most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am glad you have been keeping up with my posts, William. It is nice to know that I have given people valuable advice they can apply in the kitchen. I cannot make phở yet; I believe that it is too challenging for me, but it is nice that you know how to make it (you are probably a better cook than I am). To answer your question, I do indeed think that my struggles were what taught me the most. They allowed me to learn from my mistakes, and that is an integral part in the process of learning. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. Brandon, the dish looks so good! I absolutely love Vietnamese food but I don't cook that well. I admire your knack for cooking. I hope that you'll continue to do so. Your fried egg and steak is perfection. From my experiences with making fried eggs and steak, the yolk tended to break whenever I fried it and it was difficult to know when the steak was ready. Often, the steak would turn out under or over cooked. I value your advice very much. It's true that people don't turn into master chefs over night, book or not. I'm inspired to cook Vietnamese food more. I'm completely starved now, after seeing your post. Good job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to my previous comments, the answer to your question is that cooking is something that I struggle with. I can improve by studying cooking techniques and experimenting more. Brandon, what was your favorite dish to cook from this experience?

      Delete
    2. I am glad my expertise has helped you and has given you a glimpse into the cooking environment. I am also admired by the fact that I have inspired you to cook more Vietnamese food. It is hard to choose my favorite dish from this experience, but I would say it was the chè chuối. In my personal opinion, desserts are much more enjoyable to make (maybe it is because I am always craving sugar). I hope you continue to experiment in the kitchen and work on some skills and techniques. Cooking does not have to be stressful, so have fun in your kitchen! I appreciate your input on this dish. Your opinion is highly valued! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Overall, making Tamales is more than likely the hardest thing and most tedious of all foods I have hand made. The fact you must basically steam the cornmeal covered meat slab that is both prone to breaking and tends to become dry, adds a really tough balance I must always be tentative on. To become better I mainly just did it over and over again till I felt comfortable. Is that how you approach tough meals as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly how I tackle "tough meals." I use trial error so that I may see how I can improve. A part of becoming a better cook is repetition. The more you practice, the more you will exceed. Making tamales seems challenging, especially since I have never cooked Latin American food, but that would be something I would plan on making. Taking on a challenge is probably my most favorite thing to do in the kitchen. It not only pressures you, but gives you a little more experience of how things are done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the response man, good to know!

    ReplyDelete