Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Drawing: Grass-Like Flowers

Well, we made it! The very last post of this blog! I have learned so much about myself as an artist and the methods that work for when I am doodling. For the final pictures, I decided to draw some flowers. But unlike other flowers that are in the shape of bushes or grow on trees, these flowers live among the grass and have similar characteristics. To start, I drew a flower called a rape blossom. The leaves of this plant are actually edible, and the seeds can be used to make oil. How handy! To draw this flower, I first drew buds of the flower in the foreground, followed by the background. I then drew the stem of the plant, and finally, I added leaves and seeds to the stem, alternating from the top down (Umoto 26). In drawing this picture, I included most of the techniques that I focused on in my other posts: step by step process, detail, complex images, and shapes. This really helped me to incorporate everything in to one piece and produce something that fits into many artistic categories. For the second drawing, I sketched pampas grass. In this doodle, I mainly focused on detail and the step by step process to create the end result. To create this image, "1. Decide the direction of the wind before drawing the stalks. 2. Draw the outline of the plumes fluttering in the wind. 3. Draw the defining lines in each plume one by one and the leaves" (Umoto 70). Following the given instructions and attempting multiple times to sketch the perfect flower, I finally completed this doodle and was satisfied with the result. I am proud of the accomplishments I have made during these past couple months, and I think that I will go forward using what I have learned and applying it to my daily life.





Would you rather draw flowers like the ones in this post or ones in the shape of bushes and trees? Why?

Umoto, Sachiko. Illustration School: Let's Draw Plants and Small Creatures. Quarry Books, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment