Monday, January 22, 2018

Chic Hairstyles: Part 5

Marley Smith: Period 6
Flipped Over Ponytail

Picture of hairstyle from the book
Looking professional doesn’t just mean the way you dress, the way your hair looks is important too. Recently I have been looking for a way to fix my hair for job interviews and other professional events. When I found this hair style I found a perfect way to achieve the professional put together style I was looking for.



Materials
-hair brush or comb
-elastic hair tie







The hairstyle I chose was something simple but still elegant. The style is called a Flipped Over Ponytail. This gives volume and body to this classic ponytail. It is an accessory in itself, although simple embellishments can be added. The first step to this look is to brush the hair out for any knots. Next you gather the hair into a loose ponytail that sits low on your neck. Then, you use your fingers to make a split above the elastic. Lastly, flip your ponytail through the split above the elastic (Butcher, 23).

My rendition of the Hairstyle
At first, I used a pink elastic to tie the hair with. However, this bright color made the look improper for a professional style. I couldn’t find a way to hide the elastic so I followed a tip in the book. The book states “Use hair elastics that match the color of your hair to keep them inconspicuous (Butcher, 22).” Adding the brown elastic to match the hair was a much easier way to complete the look than trying to hide the elastic.


After completing this look, I learned in order to look the part of a professional, simplicity is the key. A clean cut and simple look is sure to look great. This hairstyle perfectly suits this definition. Overall, I recommend this look to anyone who has medium-long hair. This hairstyle looked great and was the easiest one I’ve had to completed. It took very little effort and less than a minute to complete om myself. 



Would you wear this hairstyle to an interview or professional event?
Do you think that simplicity is a way to look professional?




Butcher, Christina. Braids, Buns, and Twists!: Step-by-Step Tutorials for 82 Fabulous Hairstyles. Chronicle Books, 2013.

4 comments:

  1. I personally love doing my hair but struggle with finding hairstyles that work well with my thin hair. I would wear this hairstyle because it adds volume to your hair and is very professional. I do think simplicity is a way to look professional because things that aren't simple tend to distract other people and draw attention to you. Does the look still look good if it is a bit looser? Does it make the twist bigger or just look messy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julianna! I'm glad to hear that you like this hairstyle. To answer your question I think the hairstyle also looks nice when its looser. The twist becomes bigger but does not look messy, it just adds more volume.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marley, I loved this post! The hairstyle turned out great and I definitely think you could wear it to a professional event. It's very neat and gives the look of being put together. Personally, I believe simplicity is a way to look professional because you look more put together. When your hair looks messy, you look less professional and people may not take you as seriously. What is your favorite hairstyle to wear to a professional/fancy event? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace! I'm glad you found my post interesting. To answer your question my favorite hairstyle to wear is either this one or a simple braid. Both of those hairstyles look simple but still elegant for professional events.

      Delete