Saturday, January 27, 2018

Tying Up Loose Ends

By: Ha Tien Nguyen

Book: Knitting for Dummies by Pam Allen, Shannon Okey, and Tracy Barr 



To finish your knitted piece, you have to bind off, which is securing the stitches in the last row worked so that they don't unravel. Binding off can be done in a variety of ways, each resulting in a different look. Knowing a couple of the available methods can help you choose the right one for your project. 

Standard Bind-off:

1. "Knit the first 2 stitches from the left needle.
2. With your left needle in front of your right needle, insert the left needle into the first stitch worked on the right needle. 
3. Bring this loop over the second stitch and off the tip of the right needle- sort of like leapfrogging over the stitch.
4. Knit the next stitch on the left needle so that you again have 2 stitches on your right needle. 
5. Repeat Steps 2 through 4 until you have 1 stitch remaining on your right needle.
6. Cut the yarn 6 inches form the needle and pull the tail through the last stitch to lock it"(Allen, Okey, Barr 77). 


Yarn-over Bind-off:

1. "Knit 1 stitch, yarn over the right needle, and then knit 1 more stitch.
2. With your left needle in front of your right needle, insert the left needle into the yarn over on the right needle. 
3. Bring this loop over the second stitch (the last stitch knit) and off the tip of the right needle. 
4. With your left needle in front of your right needle, insert the left needle into the first stitch on the right needle.
5. Bring this loop over the second stitch on the needle, leaving 1 stitch on the right needle.
6. Yarn over the right needle and knit 1.
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 until you have 1 stitch remaining on your right needle. 
8. Cut the yarn 6 inches from the needle and pull the tail through the last stitch to lock it"(Allen, Okey, Barr 76).



Tying up loose ends is the last step and the most satisfying step of a knitting project. Unfortunately, I still haven't finished my scarf project and won't get to experience that rewarding moment. But that's not to say that I haven't enjoyed every step of the journey. I've learned many things during this process and I'm glad that I've gotten to learn how to knit. During the past few months, I've found that I really enjoy the hobby. It's brought me both great joy and frustration. Often, I would look forward to the time I spent with my knitting needles and my ball of yarn. It was the only time I got to step back from the stress and the chaos to reflect on my thoughts and immerse in the silence. I'd say that the art of knitting was my true accomplishment and the scarf is just an afterthought. Would you agree that when you make something, the skill is the true achievement while the actual product is the bonus? 



Works Cited
Allen, Pam. Knitting for Dummies. John Wiley, 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment