Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Use of Pawns

As I continued my book Chess for Juniors I had came across a chapter where it had talked about how you can be able to achieve checkmate just by using a king and a pawn. Now I had came across a chapter that show different uses of a pawn, the first three different uses of pawns are doubled pawn,
backward pawns, and pawn chain. So if your opponent does any of these pawn moves your able to take advantage of them and beat their opening/ defend against them. 

First is the doubled pawn, which are pawns that are more difficult to defend and be able to move more than the pawns that aren't doubled. Which shows that if they're in this position they make really easy targets. this is because the doubled pawns can't protect one and other except waiting to get captured. This is shown when it said, "As a general rule of thumb: Doubled Pawns are more difficult  to defend and less mobile ( able to move) than pawns that aren't doubled... Doubled Pawns can't protect one another, so they make easy targets." 


Next is the Backwards Pawns, which means there would be another pawn diagonally behind the first pawn. This is a weak move that you can take advantage of because its on an open file which just means that since its open it wont be able to be defended by other pawns that's on the same color, that lags behind. This is described when they said, "A "backward Pawn" is a pawn that lags behind other Pawns of the same color. It is just as weak as an isolated Pawn, because it also can't be defended by other Pawns.

Last but not least, The Pawn Chain, which are pawns that is a diagonal row of Pawns, with each pawn are defended by the one behind it, without the pawn that's at the very bottom, in other words base. If your opponent does this move there's advantages like all the pawns being protected. However there are major disadvantages like all of the pawns being on the same colored square, which means that they will have a harder time to cover the opposite colored squares. An example that describes this would be when, "The major advantage of a Pawn chain is that the Pawns are protected. It's hard for your opponent to attack a Pawn chain with anything other than Pawns. But one drawback of a Pawn chain is that all of those Pawns are on the same color squares." 
By knowing all of these uses your able to think ahead to know how to respond against their strategies, to be able to win towards the end of the game. 
WORK CITED  
Snyder, Robert Michael. “Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner.” Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner, David McKay Co, 1991, pp. 190-193.

Question: How much have you learned about your subject? 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Anh, the new tactics and strategies surrounding the pawns have been quite elusive for me to understand how to use them effectively. With this post I will be able to win my battles more easily, also I've learned much about drawing so far especially with how tools effect how my drawings will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! Im so happy that my blog had help you on your chess journey to victory. I hope we can play against each other some time

      Delete
  2. Great post Anh! I really liked how you explained some Pawn strategies and it was really easy to understand. When I play chess I don't know how to use my Pawns effectively. With this I will be able to counter these moves and even make them my own. Have you used any of these strategies with the Pawns prior to reading this book? And if yes then did they work for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment Kasyn! To answer your questions, yes I have done this strategy with the pawns prior to this book. However I was able to do it the first time, but I then told them what I had did so I was unable to do it once again.

      Delete