Monday, January 22, 2018

Lettering: script

Lettering: Script

Script, calligraphy, cursive; all three look really similar, it's almost hard to differentiate them. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful font that can be used for anything from birthday cards to wedding invitations.


McDevitt says script is "...often created with fluid strokes using a brush or pen and nib" (32). There are many different variations of script. For example, one type of script is formal script. Formal script is commonly seen in 17th century writing with strokes connecting letters together. Another example is casual script, which is informal and looks as though it was written quickly. The Hand-Lettering Ledger shows a collection of script styles:


After drawing a few sketches and picking the quote I wanted to draw, I moved to the second step named in the book, which is sketch out the phrase while keeping in mind the swashes, composition, and sizing of the words (34).

Here, I chose the quote "no rain...no flowers". I added swashes to letters like "f" and "n", but not too much where it wasn't readable.
Once I chose the sketch above to work on, I followed the next step suggested by McDevitt; "Finalize your drawing with a pen, either with tracing paper or directly on top of your drawing" (35). I didn't have a pen that was thick enough for me to fill in the letters fully, so I used a black permanent marker instead.

I feel like using a dark marker, whether it be black, dark blue, etc., it makes the words a lot more visible and it gives the whole phrase an elegant look. What type of lettering or font do you think best suites your personality?

Citation - McDevitt, Mary Kate. Hand-Lettering Ledger. Chronicle Books, 2014.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ubah I really liked your lettering! It's very neat and unique. I really liked the style of the ones that say 'Varsity' and 'Exquisite'. I've always wanted to try one of these 3 ways of writing. Which one do you think is the best one to start with as a beginner? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Andeep! In my opinion, I think an easier script style to start with is casual script because it allows you to get used to the basics of script. Then you could move into more detailed kinds, such as formal script or blackletter & lombardic. I recommend you to look at different examples of other people writing in script so that you understand things like how to angle your pen or what parts of the letters to make thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ubah, I really loved this post! The lettering is beautiful and you did a great job. I think cursive best suites my personality. I also love using cursive for card designs or signs, but I'm not the best at it. Do you have any tips for improving cursive? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Grace! I'm not the best cursive writer myself, but I have read some pretty good tips on how to improve writing in cursive. Whenever I'm writing in any kind of cursive font, I always tilt my pencil at an angle because it allows your hand to naturally draw the swirls. This technique also puts the perfect amount of thickness on certain down strokes. I really hope this helps you!

    ReplyDelete