Sunday, January 28, 2018

30 Minute Sketching - Styles/Techniques

30 Minute Art - Sketching
By Alwyn Crawshaw

Next I would like to talk about the different positions/styles that are available to sketch, and how to use them effectively. In order to use your pencil most effectively you're going to need to learn at least the three basic positions (Crawshaw 16). Crawshaw goes on to short detail of the three positions Short hold, Long hold, and Flat. In addition an eraser can help in the drawing process of sketching, as when shading an eraser can help lighten areas when needed (Crawshaw 16).

Testing out the techniques I started with a long hold using a 3B pencil to set out a base structure, base of the tree and the branches


After using a short hold I put a more definitive structure to the sketch, and making the twigs of the tree done with a 2B pencil.

To finish the drawing using a 6B flat hold pencil I added some shading.


I remember the times I used to sketch before this since then I would use a mechanical pencil and really only use a close short hold even for the shading. But in the last week I can say my skills in drawing have very much improved. Ending another I'd like to ask how much you've improved in skills and what has changed since then?

2 comments:

  1. Alvin your tips on drawing has weirdly help me in chess. This is because like you said by using different kinds of B pencils you can change the final product in many ways. Which is the same scenario with chess, by using the different kinds of moves in chess you can have many ways to achieve victory in your chess match. To answer your question, i have improved my moves dramatically in chess because I'M able to use different techniques that I've have learned in the book. My question for you is, If you hadn't used the different kinds of pencils would you get a better result of the drawing or worse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice drawings Alvin! I really liked the step by step procedure and how you provided images for the process. Drawing used to be my passion in elementary school and i would draw different and cool things all the time. For your question, my skills in drawing have not improved because i don't have time for it and the practice is nonexistent. What drawing tool is best when sketching? or what would you rather prefer?

    ReplyDelete