Thursday, January 25, 2018

Drawing: Body

            For my last and final blog of drawing, I decided to go with the idea of my first drawing and draw another person. This time I decided to draw the body and not the face. I draw faces all the time, so i took it up a notch and drew a young girl who with our perspective has her back turned to us. The book The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing by Alastair Smith and Judy Tatchell, accompanied and navigated me throughout my process and journey of the piece I drew.
          The first thing I obviously need to draw is the outline of the body. In the book it states, "Begin your drawings of whole figures by marking a sketch of the body, using pencil. Start your sketch by drawing the rough shapes of the main body parts" (smith, Tatchell 10). In the drawing I first started with the basic shape of a head which is not circle but kind of like an oval. As I went along I drew the neck which will eventually be covered up and the the shoulders. The arms that I drew were not straight but they were slightly tilted inward as if she were holding her hands together. At first I drew her main body as a rectangle, lightly with a pencil before I added curves. The book gives very critical advice. Before i drew this piece I tried drawing a body before but it didn't turn out the way I expected because I tried drawing the clothes and everything, I didn't start out with the basics.
         The second and most important thing in my opinion is the stance or pose the body has. The stance of the girl I drew is with her back towards us as i mentioned before. The great tip that the book gave was that when they said, illustrating poses and proportions is exaggerating the drawing of the body. To emphasize the drawing, there can be different styles of clothes such as ones that are elegant  or comfortable (Smith, Tatchell 18). I took the advice from the book and gave a girl a pretty and flowing dress with an intricate design. I drew a dress that was strapless and her hair was down so you couldn't see her whole back. I drew a band around her upper waist and then the design below that.
       All in all I think the drawing turned out superb. This was the first time I drew a person without the face showing and I am glad i took the risk and learned how to draw more. I would like to say that drawing is not always my forte. I only draw good when i'm in the mood to draw and I can't be forced to draw. Over this 3 moth period, I found time when I was in the mood to draw, and drew these pictures with all my effort and focus. Hopefully to your eyes they turned out good.

How would you say this drawing turned out?
Do you like the drawing without the face or would you have preferred it with the face?
If there is anything i can change, fix, and add what would it be?

Smith, Alastair, and Judy Tatchel. The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing. Usborne Pub., 2009.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Keerat! I think your drawing turned out great! I do like the drawing without her face being shown, but having the face would allow us to know more about the sketch, like possibly her personality. All in all though, I think your drawing looks very good and highly detailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sebastian, I am so glad that you thought my drawing turned out great. I would have to agree with you on the fact that if I had added or showed the face, it would definitely bring out more of the personality due to her facial expression. And yes, I did put in a lot of detail into this drawing. In my opinion I put more detail into this drawing than any of my other drawings.

      Delete
  2. Hi Keerat. I think your drawing is amazing. I like the drawing without the face, I think it gives it a deeper meaning like she is shy. If their is one thing that you could fix, I would say add more shadows to the hair give it more depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I am so happy you thought my drawing was amazing. I also think that not showing the face can show that she might be shy. And I totally agree with you, that i could definitely add a little more depth to the hair by adding more shadows. Thank you for the feedback and i will totally apply it.

      Delete