Thursday, January 11, 2018

Still Life Sketches

                                                 Still Life Drawing By:Olivia Nguyen

If you look around the room you will find shapes, shapes everywhere. Drawing can be simple and easy when you start each sketch with shapes and then connect them. I decided to pick up my water color pen and my watercolor palette to start drawing again. Since this is my fourth entry I decided to change it up a bit and instead of drawing building I decided I would try still life. I picked some objects only and from the book to replicate or draw. I lost track of time and before I knew it I sketched about a dozen different objects!



In the book Understand Perspective by Stephanie Bower she says "Try sketching rounded lampshades in your home from different eye levels. What part of the ellipses do you see when your eye level is higher than the lampshade?" (Bower 83). I kept this in mind when I was sketching one of the objects, I sketched the teacup from different angles which gave me a good perspective and I learned a lot from the shapes from different angles.

Bower describes ellipses as circles in perspectives as flattened shapes, by understanding these circles making arches and vaulted ceilings are so much easier. We often rarely see true circles (Bower 82). I made many ellipses when I was drawing, I used them to sketch out my first drawings. Starting with a base was helpful to make more in depth drawings. The rough drawing make a good match with the watercolor.

These sketches took me about under an hour. I used a pental aquabrush, paper, and a bic pencil. What i really like about watercolor is the flexibility of colors that are optional for you. What is your favorite media of art? And why?

3 comments:

  1. Olivia, I love your sketches! They're very good. I like the fact that you got lost track of time as you drew. Art can do that to you sometimes. Watercolors can be challenging often times since they are a water-based paint. I've never been very good with watercolors. In the very few times that I used them, they would leak through the paper and crumple the paper. Also, watercolors make it had to create fine and precise lines. However, you've managed to make your drawings look amazing. To answer your question, my favorite media of art are markers because they're easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love markers too, I find them harder to blend than watercolors. When my paper crumbles or gets eaten up by the water I stop for a second to let it dry then continue on

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia, your sketches look amazing! I really like how you used perspectives in your drawings to create some really beautiful work. To answer your question, I really like pencil sketches since it is simple and easy to do. You can just pull out a pencil and paper and begin your drawing. And about your watercolors, is it the colors that intrigue you the most or do the textures of the water colors impact your decision to use them as well?

    ReplyDelete