Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Backpacking and Hiking: Training

Jason Stevenson, the author of the book, The Complete Idiots Guide to Backpacking and Hiking, states, "Your hamstrings, quadriceps, and glutes are often the limiting factor in how many miles you can hike" (Stevenson 69). I learned this first hand after finishing the Poo Poo Point trail last week and having very sore legs the next day. This caused me to realize I needed to work more on my leg strength in order to complete harder hikes. In this blog post I will be discussing the leg exercises I 
have been doing that were recommend by my book. 

The first exercise I did was leg extensions on a machine, this works out mostly your quadriceps. In this exercise, you set the machine to your appropriate weight and slowly raise your legs up and back down. I completed 2 sets of 20 reps on the leg extension machine. Stevenson also recommends to push your self but not too hard to where it becomes unsafe (Stevenson 68).




Leg Curl Machine

Along with leg extensions, I also completed leg curls which work your hamstrings. This exercise includes setting the machine to a appropriate weight and slowly pushing your legs down and back up again. I also completed 2 sets of 20 reps on this machine. 

By working out my leg muscles 3 times a week, I am able to become I stronger hiker and become able to complete longer and more strenuous hikes. Overall, reading Stevenson's book has allowed me to grow my love for hiking and become a stronger and more educated hiker. I was able to hike more, and not just in the summer, along with more hiking experience. Do you think training is important to complete task like hiking, if so why? Thanks for reading!




Stevenson, Jason. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Backpacking and Hiking. Indianapolis, IN: Alpha Books, 2010. Print.






  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Jaden! I admire the work ethic and determination that you have to become a stronger hiker. I believe that training is necessary for hiking since you are walking for extended periods of time and you are walking in terrain uphill. What other exercises do you perform while training?

    ReplyDelete