Saturday, January 20, 2018

Recovery and Injury Prevention

Joey Macauley
Complete Conditioning for Soccer
By: Greg Gatz

Mental and physical stress on your body precipitates from daily occurrences, from school to athletics, in which your body is the forced to resist or adapt to. In chapter 11 of Complete Conditioning for Soccer, Greg Gatz justifies valid information and daily practices to allow your body to recover and remain healthy. Initially, he explains that in order to keep your body in healthy composition, it's important to avoid overworking yourself. In the text, he says, "To develop a sound training plan, you must distinguish between volume and intensity" (Gatz 155). In essence, he's prescribing that tough workouts correspond with shorter time periods, or easier workouts can last for a longer duration. This promotes better improvement and maintenance for the mechanics of your body while participating in sports. Furthermore, Gatz specifies on essential techniques for recovering properly. This involve a nutritious diet, regular hydration, quality sleep, and various exercises such as massaging methods. Being able to commit all these aspects to a consistent daily schedule will translate into noticeable forward progress throughout training processes and performances (Gatz 157). 

(1) STAY HYDRATED!!
(2) Using the foam roller for glutes, quads, and hamstrings (book example)
(3) My ice/heat pad, smaller knot roller, and foam roller... all for recovery and soothing my small strains or injuries 

Personally
, from playing soccer up to 5 days a week and with a possible 2 to 3 games a weekend, recovery is essential for me, day by day. After reading this chapter, I now understand the specifics for what I can and should be doing during and after training and competition to ensure that I continue maintaining and improving my muscle composition. The evidence I identified has altered the way I condition and train while making sure I'm avoiding injury or strain from overworking myself individually and with my team. Then, the information I paraphrased highlighted the check-list for the basics of what I need to incorporated while being involved with soccer. I know school hinders the amount of sleep I'm able to get, but I'm now aware of the extreme importance of hydration and nutrition, along with the use of different equipment to handle the soreness, knots, and stress with my muscles. 


Have you had to deal with over-stressing your muscles with an activity? If so, what methods did you do to recover efficiently, and if not, what would you have done?

Work Cited: 
Gatz, Greg. Complete Conditioning for Soccer. Human Kinetics, 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post Joey! To answer your question, I have indeed dealt with over-stressing my muscles in the past. Due to inadequate conditioning I got a knee injury in middle school. Like the text states, proper hydration and icing allowed me to recover.

    ReplyDelete