Saturday, January 27, 2018

Simply Glamorous; Gary's Guide to Gorgeous

Hello, welcome back to my final blog post, this is Ashley and today from the book Simply Glamorous by Gary Cockerill I am focusing on some of Gary's tips to gorgeous. I beleive these tips are very important to beginners and even to people who have been wearing make-up for a long time. 

There Are No Rules

"Individuality is the greatest gift we have and make-up is a great way to showcase this and exercise creativity and self-expression" (Cockerill 18). To me, make-up lets me show others my creativity and imagination. There are millions of make-up looks out in the world, ranging from eye looks to lip looks to the whole face. The way one shows to wear make-up gives off a sense of there personalty and can show how one feels about themselves. Personally I don't like to go to bold with my looks, this may show that I like the feeling of more natural make-up, and with me I have freckles so I must try my best to not completely cover those up because freckles are a made of me and they define something special about me. I like more natural looks on me like the one shown below, but of course like any girl, I like to go bold every now and then!

It's All about Balance

"When you're deciding what make-up look to apply, analyze the shape of your eyes and lips and decide which area you want to draw attention to... take your whole outfit into account, to ensure you look and feel gorgeous" (Cockerill 18).  I agree with this, especially when I decide to wear eye-shadow. Making sure your eye-shadow matches your outfit can be the key to tying it all together. Then, if you are wearing a more causal, relaxed outfit you would not want to go all out on the make-up, be careful not to lose that balance. For example the eye-shadow look below has a lot of pink pigment so this look would go best with more neutral colors, just to add some color and pop to the look.

Give Yourself Enough Time

Giving your self time includes the time that you will need to blend everything together. A look, in my opinion, is not complete if you have harsh lines all over your face. "Natural light and artificial light are very different, so make sure your make-up looks good in which ever you are going to be in" (Cockerill 18).  Personally for me I love doing my make-up in natural light because if it looks good in the natural light then it will look good in any light. Before school in the morning for me it is always dark outside so I am not able to open my blinds to get natural light, so I invested in a LED mirror, which gives you very nice white lighting. Here is the LED mirror that I do my make-up in every day:

Hygiene Is So Important

Cockerill emphasizes that it is very important to clean your make-up brushes regularly because it can carry more bacteria then a toilet, he also touches on how washing your hands before applying make-up and cleaning your brushes regularly is very important (Cockerill 19). When I go awhile without washing my brushes I notice my make-up starts going on more streaky, so regular brush cleaning is very important for both the application of the make-up and the sanitary part of it. Here is a great brush cleaner that I use from Sephora: 
This is the, Mini Citrus Brush Cleaner
Following these this can be very important, and according to them being called "guide to gorgeous" these can help you feel much more confident about your self, and ultimately improve your make-up techniques. 
What is your favorite skin care product? How long does it normally take you to complete a look?
Thank you for reading!

Cockerill, Gary, et al. Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look & Feel Fabolous. Jacqui Small, 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley! I found all these tips very helpful. To answer your question my favorite skin care product has to be the rose water and cucumber facial sprays from Mario Badescu because they moisturize, refresh, and give my skin a healthy glow. To complete a look it usually depends on if I'm going for a natural or more bold look. For a natural look it usually takes me about 10 minutes and a bold look takes one hour, so there's a major difference! What do you think is one of the most useful and important tip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Ashley! i really enjoyed how you focused on not only makeup, but how to grow and give yourself time to improve. In response to your question, my favorite skin care product is Witch hazel because it has such a great effect on my skin. I have also gotten my every day routine down to around 15 minutes. Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete