Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Betty Crocker Cooky Book - How to make the perfect refrigerator cookies

For my fourth post I make chocolate peppermint cookies. The cook book said to make the dough as recipe suggest, which I did. It also says to roll the dough into a cylinder with the diameter that the recipe suggests (Crocker pg 15).  I had trouble rolling the dough because neither the instructions or the tips told me how to roll it correctly. I ended up taking wax paper and putting the dough in it and rolling it out almost like a rolling pin.

I then chilled the dough in the fridge overnight. The tips on page 15 said to cut desired thickness but the cookies i made required the dough to be cut 1/8th of an inch to cook correctly. It was very difficult to cut the cookies the correct thickness because of how thin they needed to be. The tips on page 15 also say to use a very thin sharp knife. I had a thin knife but it wasn't very sharp which might be why I struggled with the thickness

After I baked them I made a mint frosting to put in between the cookies. I ended up burning a significant amount of the cookies so I had a lot of extra frosting.



Ingredients
Mixing the dough

After chilling in the fridge overnight

After i cut some of them


The frosting

The really burnt cookies

Finished product

If  I make these again I would watch them more carefully when they are in the oven and use a sharper knife.

If you made these would you cut them the right thickness or cut them thicker?
Would you try the flavors i tried or would you make different flavors?

4 comments:

  1. The recipe itself sounds a little confusing, so it's understandable that some things were difficult. The finished product looked good, despite having some things go wrong. I would do as the directions say and use a sharp knife, but I would cut them a little thicker, not only to prevent burning, but I personally like more cookie than frosting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe was very confusing and the book assumed I knew things that I didn't, like whether or not to grease the baking sheet. The cookies were a bit bland so the frosting added flavor but I agree, more cookie than frosting is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking but I never follow the recipe exactly as it says! I've definitely had the same experience with burning cookies and also slicing them the wrong thickness. If the cookies were thicker and not burned, would you recommend the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely recommend the recipe if you like frosting that tastes stronger than the cookie. It is very bland but with the frosting it does taste better.

    ReplyDelete