Sunday, January 21, 2018

Backpacking and Hiking: Switchbacks

Statue at the start of the trail




The steep, forested trail of Poo Poo Point was something to remember. This 3.8 mile trail had a 1760 feet elevation gain along with many switchbacks. This caused the hike to take longer than my expectation before reading the book. In fact, author Jason Stevenson says, "Add an extra hour to your total hike time for each 1,000-foot gain in elevation" (Stevenson 11). The trail itself was slippery in some places due to the occasional rain during the hike but the view from the top was worth it.







By having a large elevation gain, this trail had many switchbacks to reduce the trail's gradient. A switchback is a zigzagging path that makes steep trails easier to hike (Stevenson 11). Even though the trail was longer, the switchbacks made the hike easier. Along the trail, damage was seen from hikers cutting through switchbacks to save time. By cutting through though, other hikers caused erosion to have large rocks from the hillside to be on the trail. Even with the trails damage, the hike to Poo Poo Point was very refreshing and beautiful.


By learning about switchbacks before I started the trail I was better prepared for this hike. Poo Poo Point's many switchbacks and occasional damage did make the trail harder to accomplish but it was well worth it once I reached the top.

Overall, my knowledge of switchbacks helped me greatly while on the trail. Have you ever hiked Poo Poo Point, if so did you experience trail damage? Thanks for reading and make sure to read my last post!

Stevenson, Jason. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Backpacking and Hiking. Indianapolis, IN: Alpha Books, 2010. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaden! I loved reading your post because i too have hiked Poo Poo Point! This hike felt super long to me and it was definitely one of the tougher hikes that i have done. Yes, the switch backs made it easier but it was mostly climbing all up hill the entire time which definitely drained my energy. I hiked this in the summer so the trials were not very damaged, the scenery was beautiful. I recommend that you hike this again in the summer because once you get to the top and there is blue sky, the view is amazing, it was so rewarding. I was wondering, What was the hardest hike that you have ever been on?

    ReplyDelete