Monday, January 22, 2018

Simply Glamorous: Barely There

Hi, this is Ashley, and welcome back to another one of my blogs! Today I am going to do a "Barely There Transformation" from the book Simply Glamorous by Gary Cockerill. "Everyone would like to wake-up in the morning and look amazing, but few people feel confident enough to go out with no make-up on at all" (Cockerill 42). I completely agree with the comment, I would love to wake up and just walk out the door, but to be completely honest I do not have the confidence to do that, I always need to put on some sort of make-up, and that's why I cant wait to share with you this wonderful "barely there" look.
Cockerill started off the look by cleansing, toning, and moisturizing (Cockerill 44).  Moisturizing is my favorite part because of how dry my skin gets, and the natural glow the moisturizer gives me.
I use the Ultra Facial moisturizer from Keils and a rose water spray from Mario Badescu for extra hydration:

I have a lot of visible pores so I like to use the prime with the PoreFessional Primer from Benefit. I focus on applying this to my nose and out from my nose, middle of forehead, and chin.
I chose to use concealer for my Barely There look, but be careful because Cockerill did also state that concealer is a heavier consistency and can settle into fine lines, which can be aging (Cockerill 44).

Since my skin is so young and healthy I did not seem to have a problem with this.  I then set the concealer with a loose powder.
Loose Setting Powder from Laura Mercier. I applied with a fluffy make-up brush
Next, to bring a glow to my skin I went in with a champagne highlight color, as Cockerill also did in his look.
I use the Becca highlighter
You then would also want to apply blush. "The key is to make sure you don't take the blush too close to the mouth, so lift the brush off the skin when you reach the apple and then add a little color to the apple itself" (Cockerill 44). This emphasizes on how important it is to know exactly where you want to apply certain products to your face. I sometimes have a hard time putting on my blush, but after reading this tip I feel much more confident!
The blush I use is "Girly" from Ulta
"Shimmering eye shadow has a brightening effect and is very easy to blend" (Cockerill 46). I would have to agree with this, even just using one shimmery color can make it look like you put so much more effort into your eyes the you really did!
I then finished this look with mascara, and if you so please you can add a color to your lips.
I decided not to do every step in the book, because of my fair skin I like to keep the colors minimized on this look, so that's why I decided not to add eye shadow under my eyelids, a gel eyeliner, or contour.
Here is the final natural look I like to apply to my face in everyday photos:

Thank you so much for coming back to read my blog, and again I hope you found something useful in what's stated above. I truly hope this is a look you want to try out:) Be sure to come back for my next and final blog!
Thank you!

How much make-up do you like to put on? Do you like more bold looks, or more simple, natural looks?

Cockerill, Gary, et al. Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look & Feel Fabolous. Jacqui Small, 2015.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Ashley! I love the way the look turned out. I also love using my Mario Badescu rose water in the morning. It wakes me up and gives that dewy look! Though I am not doing makeup as my IRP I do know about a lot about it from wearing it and doing it for 4 years and doing it with dance helps you learn a lot about makeup. I agree completely with your book and all of Gary Cockerill thoughts. To answer your questions, first, to school i wear the 'Born This Way' foundation. With that I wear the Tarte 'Shape Tape' concealer. For powder I use the translucent 'derm a blend'. Lastly I wear the 'Better Than Sex" mascara. For your second question, I like both bold and simple looks, I believe it depends on the situation. A question I have for you is do you believe using high end makeup compared to drug store actually makes a difference? Again, amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mia! I am so glad you enjoyed my post. I love the Mario Badescu rose water spray so much as well! I agree with your response to my last question, most people tend to go all out on there make-up for special events while more casual for just going to school, so it greatly depends on the situation. To answer your question, I believe that some products are much better when bought at a high-end make-up store, for example highlight. Highlight can be much more pigmented and last longer when bought from a nicer store, but you can never go wrong with buying drug-store mascara:)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley! I loved reading your post because i can relate to it so much! I personally love the natural look so i am really working on clearing up my skin so i can personally be confident in myself to go out with little makeup on. I love makeup so i could spend hours doing it. When i go out i look to do my makeup full coverage and be extra with it because its fun. But on a daily basis i try to keep it looking natural while still having coverage. I notice that you use the mario badescu spray as well and i love it! i spray it on before my makeup application and after and it leaves my skin looking dewy and hydrated. Personally on an every day basis i like a natural look but if its the weekend and i'm going out with friends i like to spend a little bit more time on my makeup. I was wondering, how much time do you usually give your self in the morning to do your makeup? and when you go out with your friends do you still do a natural makeup look?

    ReplyDelete