Saturday, January 27, 2018

Stretching for Aerials blog post 5

          Hello! Thank you for coming back to my blog. This will be my final blog post! For my 5th blog post I'm not focusing on how to do my aerial, I am showing stretches recommended by Jeff Savage from Gymnastics Skills, Tips, and Tricks. It is a given that flexibility is very important in gymnastics, It's also very crucial you stretch to keep your flexibility also warm up your muscles so you don't pull one.
          Stretching is a key factor to be able to do tricks. You want to spend plenty of time stretching so your body can form in many ways. The reason I wanted to focus on stretching was because I know it is important, but I never stretch before doing tricks. Since I have been able to do most of the tricks I know for a long time, I don't feel the need for stretching. I am interested to see if stretching before doing my aerial would change and make doing aerials easier. Jeff Savage talks on how you must warm up first (Savage 42). Savage has many good ideas for stretching and warm up. He started off by saying "You need to get your heart pumping and blood flowing. Warm up with some jumping jacks or a light jog around the gym" (Savage 43). I used Savage's idea by doing 50 jumping jacks. This really got my heart racing and ready to stretch. Savage talks on how you must do splits, lungs, and neck rolls (Savage 43). Jeff Savage specifically explains how to do one of theses stretches by saying "Take a wide stance. Reach down and touch the floor" (Savage 43).  For stretching, I did that as well as all splits, rolling my neck and back stretches. While reading and analyzing the quotes, I was guessed these ideas would help me get over better in my aerial. After stretching, I was ready to try doing an aerial. 



          After stretching I tried doing an aerial and honestly there wasn't an aerial and honestly there wasn't a difference. I still got over perfectly fine, but not any better. Even though it didn't change my aerial, I decided I am still going to do this before I flip. The stretching felt really good and can help prevent from injury. Also stretching can help you from not being sore the next day which i like a lot! From past knowledge, I know stretching before and after you workout or do any physical activity is key for preventing soreness. Along with drinking water and coconut water. 
          I would like to thank you all so much for tuning into my blogs! It has been very fun sharing my passion for dance and gymnastics with you all! Thank you again for following me on this journey!

What tricks can you do? What's your favorite stretch?

Savage, Jeff. Gymnastics Skills, Tips, and Tricks. Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2012. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well described Mia, I like how you wen't into detail when doing the stretching for the ariel and your opinion on it. Have you done gymnastics in the past? or how long have you done it? Cause certainly it takes a long time to stretch and be able do the splits like you are in the photos and i know i cannot do it like you.

    ReplyDelete