Monday, January 29, 2018

ASL: Talking About Actions

ASL: Talking About Actions



The final chapter I read out of Christopher Brown's The Art of Sign Language was about actions. How to use them, and common signs associated with them. I show a small handful of the signs I gathered from this Chapter below.



  1. "I want to wish you a good visit."
  2. "Where do you live?'
  3. "Please try to continue working."
  4. "Remember to pay for your laundry."

Brown provides helpful little bits of information throughout his text related to general ASL proficiency. These have been of great help throughout my IRP. One of these helped greatly, and helped me realize a lot about body language in ASL, "Remember that when signing, you are engaged in a conversation, just like normal speaking. Use expression and body language to portray your point. This gives your signs more meaning." (Brown 115).  She continues on, speaking about things like moving your body with your hands, and mouthing your words (Brown 115-116). This knowledge has been of great help. As I have gotten more familiar with my signs, I can slowly improve to sign like someone skilled in the language.

How does body language translate from ASL to normal speaking, and how important do you think body language is?

Brown, Christopher. The Art of Sign Language: Phrases. Vol. 2, Thunder Bay Press, 2003.
By Noah Crissey




No comments:

Post a Comment