Friday, January 26, 2018

Drawing and inking animal anatomy: cow face, tail, udders

Over the last couple of weeks  I have continued to read into chapter 4. Chapter 4 is all about hoofed animals, and I decided to study up on cows. "The bodies of cattle tend to be rectangular" (Amberlyn). This is mostly when you are looking at them from their side, because if you look at the straight on you can see their large belly protruding.

UDDERS:

I kept the tip above in mind the entire time while drawing the cows. "The udder is like a circular bag that hangs down between the cows hind legs" (Amberlyn 107). First I started with the rectangular outline, and then the curvy leg. When I got to the udder I made sure to make it more noticeable because dairy cows have large udders (Amberlyn 107).


cow tail and udder 
TAIL:

The tail was a bit difficult to draw because it is the highest point on the cows body (Amberlyn 107) other than the head, and I kept having to re-position the base of the tail to get it just right. "The tail is usually long and can be swished around to swat away insects" (Amberlyn 107). I made sure to make the tail come down to the knee joint so that it would be as a curate as possible.


HEAD:

The head was difficult to draw because the ears come straight out of the head and I kept having to erase and re-draw the ears because they would always come out uneven. "Cattle have blocky heads with long muzzles" (Amberlyn 96). I made sure to keep this in mind when drawing the head, because if you make the head to rounded it wont be identifiable as a cow.

cow head 

MINE:

I don't particularly like how my cow head came out, I think I could have done a better job and taken more time. Other than that I like how everything else came out.

How do you think mine came out?
Are you going to use these tips when drawing a cow?
What can I improve on?




No comments:

Post a Comment