Sunday, January 28, 2018

Makeup Manual: Ten-Step Guide To Perfect Makeup

Hello! Welcome to my final post! Today i am going to be talking about how to get perfect makeup in under 10 minutes! I personally take a long time on my makeup because i am a perfectionist and everything has to look perfect before i can leave, i usually spend 30-40 minutes on my makeup. I wanted to find a way to do my makeup perfect but in less time and that's when i came across a book called Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual by Bobbi Brown herself. When i found out that she had a ten step guide to perfect makeup in under 10 minutes i was so excited! I now could get perfect makeup in over half the time. She states, "Makeup is simple. When you know how to apply it and have an organized makeup drawer, it should take only five to ten minutes. Practice is the key" (Brown 117).

A basic, simple look requires ten steps. So, today i am going to be sharing with you ten steps in order to achieve the perfect makeup look for everyday. But, make sure you apply makeup in the correct sequence.

STEP 1: PRE-MAKEUP

  1. Begin with applying moisturizer to your face. Moisturizer is the key to a fresh looking face. It will create the perfect base for your makeup. 
  2. Next, apply a lightweight eye cream to ensure that your under eye makeup goes on smoothly and evenly. Your under eyes are one of the few places that don't produce sweat so they tend to be dry, this is why it is important to use an eye cream.
  3. Lastly, apply a primer. Primer will help make your makeup last all day long and it will help you foundation not slip off of your face. Use a primer suited for your skin type. 

Left side: Primer (Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Smash box primer water, too face primed and peachy) Top Right: Moisturizer (First aid beauty ultra repair face moisturizer) Bottom Right: Eye Cream (Garnier anti-puff eye roller).

STEP 2: FOUNDATION
  1. First, find your perfect foundation shade. Swatch a few shades on your cheek and which ever one matches the closet, use that one. 
  2. Next, use a sponge, brush, or finger to apply your foundation. I recommend a sponge because you get an airbrush look.
  3. Lastly, if you have blemished, spot-apply your foundation on your blemish and blend.
I use a morphe sponge to apply my foundation. I mix two foundations together to get my perfect shade. I use the Maybelline dream velvet and the Maybelline dream liquid mousse.

STEP 3: CONCEALER
  1. First, neutralize darkness with a pink or peach toned corrector to cancel out darkness.
  2. Next, choose a yellow-based shade of concealer and layer it over the corrector under your eyes, and any point of your face that you want to highlight, (bridge of nose, forehead, chin). 
  3. Lastly, apply it on any breakouts for extra coverage. 
Bobbi Brown states, "Applying concealer on the spot next to the inner corner of the eye will open up your eyes and give you a fresh, bright-eyed look" (Brown 118).
I use the Tarte Shape Tape to highlight the high points of my face since it is lighter. I use the Urban Decay Naked Skin to conceal my under eyes because it is yellow-based. 

STEP 4: POWDER
  1. First, apply a loose powder with a sponge to the areas of your face that crease the most and or get oily. I apply this under my eyes, chin, nose and forehead. Press the powder onto your skin and let it sit there while it "Bakes" After a minute or two wipe it away.
  2. Finally, apply a pressed powder to the rest of your face with a powder brush to set everything in place.
I use the Maybelline Fit me loose powder to bake. Then i use the Rimmel London Stay Matte pressed powder for the rest of my face.

STEP 5: BROWS
  1. First, define brows but using a brow pencil or pomade. I use a pencil to be more precise and natural looking.
  2. Next, set brows in place with a clear eyebrow or mascara gel.
    I use the Maybelline eye studio brow define+fill duo to define my brows. Then i use the Maybelline Great lash clear gel to set my brows in place.
STEP 6: EYESHADOW
  1. First, apply a neutral brown/orange shade to your transition/crease.
  2. Next, apply a darker brown shade to your crease.
  3. Lastly, apply a shimmer light shade to your lid.
I use the Anastasia Modern Renaissance Palette for my eyes. 

STEP 7: BRONZE
  1. First, find your perfect shade. If have fair skin use a lighter warm brown shade. If you have a darker complexion, use a deeper shade.
  2. Next apply it to the halos of your cheeks, jawline, nose, and forehead. 
According to Bobbi Brown, "To add a warm tint to the skin, use a bronzer on areas where the sun normally hits the face, cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin.
I use the Hoola Bronzer from Benefit because it is the perfect shade for my skin tone.

STEP 8: BLUSH
  1. First, smile and apply the blush to the apples of your cheeks. 
  2. Then, blend the product upwards toward the hairline and then downward to soften the color.
I use the Tarte Blush in the shade paaarty because it is the perfect color for my skin.

STEP 9: HIGHLIGHT
  1. First, apply the highlight to your cheek bones.
  2. Then, apply the highlight to the areas of your face that glow when the sun hits it, (bridge and tip of nose, temples, brown bone).
I use the Becca Highlight in Champagne Pop.

STEP 10: MASCARA
  1. First, curl your lashes with an eyelash curler so your eyes look more open.
  2. Then, use a black mascara and apply it to your upper and lower lashes.
I use all L'Oreal Mascaras because i believe they have the best.



We have now completed our makeup look!
You can finish off this look with a lip balm and setting spray and head out the door. Obviously you don't need to use all of these products to achieve a perfect look, do whatever you may wish to do!

How much makeup do you wear? How long does it take you to do your makeup in the morning?



Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment