Thursday, January 25, 2018

Maintaining Focus and Motivation

For my last post, I decided to write about one of my biggest goals for this project: to maintain focus and motivation. In dance, as well as other aspects of my life, I have struggled with focusing on the end product. Typically, I become discouraged or distracted, leading to me abandoning my goals.

In Ballerina Body by Misty Copeland, Copeland dedicates a large portion of her book to talking about how one can stay motivated. In chapter two, she talks about why she believes goals are important. "Goals are essential. If you don't have clarity about what you want to accomplish, you can't plot how you will get there. And all of us need a spark to keep us energized and on task when we have those inevitable moments of feeling weary or discouraged" (Copeland 12).

Copeland recommends instead of taking one big leap, to talk small steps towards achievement. This in turn feels much more rewarding, and gives you a push to keep going. These small victories will help you stay motivated (Copeland 12).

Copeland also recommends to visualize some of your inspiration, whether that's a person or place. You can visualize where you want to be when your goals are achieved (Copeland 13).

I take inspiration from many famous dancers, one being Misty Copeland herself. Her story of hard work and dedication continues to inspire many young, hopeful dancers like she once was. I find motivation by looking at pictures of Misty Copeland.

Image result for misty copeland
Picture Credit: Orange County Register

I also wanted to focus on another point made by Copeland. Though results may not come immediately or be instantly satisfying, any progress is good. Any time that you put into achieving your goals is beneficial, even if improvement is minimal. "You're worth it. None of your effort, not a minute of your time, is wasted as you strive toward becoming your best, most vibrant self" (Copeland 13).

I've focused on my improvement over the past few months, before starting this project. I would definitely say that I improved my diet, and now have much more energy. This is extremely helpful for days when I'm normally dancing for 4-5 hours. I have also seen a lot of improvement in my balance, and find myself staying up on pointe longer.

I am also much more focused during class, and more attentive to my teachers. This also improves the quality of my dancing.

Focusing during Tap with my teacher
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves dance, or just wants to learn new strategies to creating a healthy lifestyle. I found Misty Copeland's advice very helpful, and hope you will too.

How do you stay on track to achieving your goals? When you're feeling weary or discouraged, what keeps you going?


Copeland, Misty, and Charisse Jones. Ballerina Body. Grand Central Life & Style, 2017.

2 comments:

  1. This is an inspiring post, Grace! I think that Copeland's advice about visualizing where you would be when you achieve your goals is a great piece of advice and its one that I sometimes find myself following. I also try to motivate myself by looking at my growth from my past self to now. Do you ever lose inspiration from other dancers? If so, is it hard to find motivation elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting Ubah! I'm glad you found the advice helpful! Sometimes looking at other dancers can be discouraging, because you instantly compare yourself. However, I just remember that I am making progress within my own limits. Even though I may not be as great as professional dancers, I'm still working as hard as I can.

    ReplyDelete