Sunday, January 21, 2018

30 Minute Sketching - The Starter Kit

30 Minute Art - Sketching
By Alwyn Crawshaw

To start Crawshaw introduces how sketching is done which is not to really be a perfect or presentable piece. How he puts it "There is no pressure on you, because you are not painting for an exhibition or to please your friends or family; you are sketching for your own enjoyment" (Crawshaw 7). They can be done just wandering about outside finding a place to sit down for awhile and just get to drawing, or in my case a fabricated scenery or even a single object. This style of drawing is actually one of the best ways of making art, as many artist have produced beautiful pieces topping even their exhibition art. For now I would like to just be able to improve my capabilities of drawing going more into depth/perspective and scenic drawings, maybe I'll try to make a masterpiece of my own another time.

Now comes equipment, before this book I would generally make random sketches with a 0.7 mm. lead pencil. The recommended sketching kit would be a 2B, 3B, and 6B pencil and optionally a Kneaded Eraser, and a small sketchpad and really works but I had used Strathmore while Crawshaw had used Daler-Rowney sketchpads.


I tested out the pencils by making a few lines, small patches of shading and small sketches of trees to test between the three. 


Starting with the 2B pencil (middle drawing), it felt like it was very precise I could get the smaller details down but it was much harder to shade it very quickly or well due to it being lighter. Then the 3B pencil (bottom right drawing) felt like an in-between of the 2B and 6B it could get details down but not as well as the 2B and it could shade decently but worse than the 6B could. Finally the 6B pencil (bottom left drawing) had me make a more general sketch I did try to put some detail into the sketch, but the shading is probably the best way to use the 6B.

That concludes my first blog, before you leave I want to hear your opinion on supplies do you think that it is necessary to have good supplies to improve your capabilities of drawing?

1 comment:

  1. Cool post Alvin! Personally i think that you should have good supplies in order to do your best also up to p drawings but it is preference. I can see that the different types of pencils do affect the outcome of the drawing so having them definitely does help. Thanks for the informative post i look forward for more!

    ReplyDelete