Friday, January 19, 2018

Drawing: lettering

         I have created many drawings of many different things such as flowers, animals, and human beings, but the side of art I haven't got a chance to explore yet is with words. In all of my drawings I have never added a single word and I know the infamous phrase "pictures speak a thousand words", but adding just 1 word can make the picture speak a thousand and one words. Adding words to a picture or drawing not only enhances the drawing itself, but also gives more depth and meaning to that specific piece of art. Through the tips and techniques from the book The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing by Alastair Smith and Judy Tatchell I have been able to create 2 pieces filled with words that speak to ones heart and a drawings that touches ones soul.
        Sometimes its hard to think about what to write in a drawing but the way I started my drawing was with a heart in the center of the page and then a band going around it with petals and flowers on the outside. The key to this piece was going to be the phrase i was gonna write. In the book, the authors state, "Small letters are just over half as tall as capitals, Small letters sticks and tails extend above and below the guidelines by about the same amount" (Alastair, Tatchell 112). Knowing that smaller letters are smaller than the capital letters is an obvious, but it is still important to show which letters are smaller so they don't all seam big. The Phrase I chose was "Fill Life with Love", it fits into the theme with the heart and the roses but I can also use the tips from the book that fell me about the sticks extending above the guideline and the tails going below the guideline. I wrote in cursive so the only letter that went below the guideline was the smaller letter f.

   I decided to draw 2 drawings for this blog to show that there are many different styles of words that you can incorporate into a piece. The 2nd piece I drew was a little less serious and maybe a little more humorous. In this piece i drew a bee as a picture and then wrote the word happy with an exclamation mark under it. I wanted this piece bring life into someone's eyes so the type of lettering I used was comic lettering. According to the book, this type of lettering is supposed to look like one that has been handwritten, meaning that is could be a little shaky or even a little uneven. And they said we could even use our own handwriting as a starting base (Alastair, Tatchell 118). I used the tip of using my own handwriting as a base to start off my letters. I usually draw most of my letters with like a swoosh in the end such as with an h or a y. So for my lettering in the drawing i decided to go with that technique of mine and even though it didn't come out perfect, it related back to comic lettering since this type of lettering isn't supposed to be so precise and could be shaky or uneven here or there.
      All in all, I would say the letters of both of my pieces came out pretty good. Not at all perfect, but I drew them to the best of my ability and spent my time worthwhile.
     How do you think that my drawings and lettering came out?
     Do you think that adding words to drawings gives more meaning or emphasis?
     If you draw, have you ever added words or will you ever in the future?

Smith, Alastair, and Judy Tatchel. The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing. Usborne Pub., 2009.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, Keerat! It's so fun and informative. I think your drawings with the added lettering came out great! I think that adding just the few words really rounds out the art and gives the piece more meaning than if it was just the picture by itself. Personally, I add words all the time to my drawings. I think that I do this because words both define the picture, and are also defined by the picture, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, I am so glad you liked and found this post helpful and informative. Words can add a lot of power and meaning towards a drawing or picture, and I get what you are trying to say about words defining the picture and vice versa. Sometimes it can be hard to incorporate words into a drawing, but that is what makes the drawing more valuable.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete