Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Reflections In Watercolor

Mulan wonders when her reflection will show, in the water. But how do we display that reflection the Disney artists showed us. I read up in the reflection chapter of my book, Understanding Perspective by Stephanie Bower to understand the reflection behind bodies of water. To do this I looked up many lakes surrounding homes and neighborhoods. The specific painting I followed along with from the book shows a village street in Rua Dr. Pereira, Paraly, Brazil by Mathew Brehm.

Bower says that they're two properties in the combinations of reflection; "Smooth vs. rippled water... Be sure to look carefully, as the object and its reflection are not identical" (Bower 90). In my reference drawing Mathew Brehm follows a village street with no ripples. The water is simply standing. This makes sketching a bit easier as the reflection should now be an identical mirrored copy of  above the reflection or water. The valley above the street is focused in the middle to let the readers eyes follow down towards the water, so are the houses. In each painting an artists thinks carefully about every angle, because an angle can be crucial. Perspective is what draws the reader in, the artist shows what they want the reader to see by using perspective to train the eyes to follow an object down to their focus.



Bower explains reflections as a mirrored image that starts at a piece of lined reflection (Bower 91). Bower shows this in diagrams, like folded paper. Wherever the line of reflection is at is where you paper or house in this case will be folded. I took note of this advice when i got past the line of reflection and started drawing my mirrored homes. I lifted the object below the reflection line and flipped the house upside down. I found this part was easiest when i just turned the paper upside down. I did sketches before I attempted to draw the whole thing. This helped to watch out for mistakes I made while sketching prior in my rough drafts.



Personally I love the look of reflection on a body of water. So what is your favorite tactic of perspective? What is your favorite thing to draw or doodle? I know I love to draw Instagram models, but for the blog assignment I wanted to challenge myself to try something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment