Sunday, January 28, 2018

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger: Supplements


        Bigger, Leaner, Stronger: Supplements


      Now that weightlifting is such a cultural norm, you have probably heard of most of the different kinds of things you can take, good or bad. One Idea that has stayed prevalent in the idea of weightlifting is that you have to take a lot of protein, with most of the sources coming from food and from "whey" a powdered substance that is added to drinks that adds protein to the mixture. To quote Michael Matthews, "Using protein supplements such as whey, egg, and casein powders (your three best options) isn't necessary, but its convenient." (Matthews 235) In the rest of the article, Michael Matthews talks about the different kinds of protein stimulants in depth, mostly about powdered supplements. To make a long story short, Mathews describes what the protein is actually doing in your body, and how to stay away from the bad and low quality whey or casein products because they have harmful fillers in them. For my project, I will be using all natural vegan protein, that has no sugar and is high in protein. I have not ever taken protein with a diet before, so i have no prior knowledge on what is the best types of protein and so on but for now, I would recommend the best ranked or best reviewed protein supplement you can find. 
 

         Work Cited

         Matthews, Michael. Bigger Leaner Stronger: the Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body. Oculus Media Group Llc, 2015.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ryan! I weight lift pretty often so this blog was very interesting. I consume protein shakes after weightlifting as well but what are some other good sources of protein? I Thoroughly enjoyed reading you blog and would like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Raphael! thanks for commenting on my post! I have to inform you that other great sources of protein that I have used are eggs and lean meats like all natural chicken or pork. Other than that I have not used any other kinds of protein in my diet.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ryan! as an athlete, I am constantly training, which includes weight lifting. I sometimes don't have time to consume protein shakes or powders afterwords. Are there any brands or specific shakes you recommend? Thanks again for the great information

    ReplyDelete