Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Paleo Cooking - Elise Jones

Today I decided to try baking paleo, and chose to make muffins. This may seem hard to believe due to how paleo excludes grains, most sugars and dairy; but there in fact ways to get around that. According to the book I have been reading, Practically Paleo, I have learned that there are many alternatives to things like flour, butter, and sugar that you can use when baking.
 
"The paleo life style includes eating whole food and not refined foods, so there are many alternatives to your everyday ingredients" (Sanfilippo, 23). For example the recipe I used to make the muffins included:
  • 2 cups of almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup of  raw honey (melted)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 table spoon of coconut oil (melted)
  • 1 table spoon of ghee (melted)
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
(Sanfilippo, 246)



Almond flour is typically used in paleo cooking as it is obviously a more natural and whole substitute for regular, refined flour. Since refined sugars are also not allowed within paleo cooking, raw honey is a great substitute to add the sweetness a dish need. The honey also has to be raw not refined, which means it will be in a more solid form. Coconut oil was used as a substitute for butter in this recipe due to its oily substance. Ghee is a type of non-refined butter, and I did not have any at my house so I just added an extra tablespoon of coconut oil (since they have very similar properties) instead.


The recipe I made today, is frequently made in my house because of how simple and fast they are to make. Also, they taste really good, and can be very diverse because you can add or make them with different types fruit. The muffins I made turned out very good, and were extremely easy to make. They only took twenty minutes to make and can be eaten at pretty much any time of day.





Would you try this recipe yourself? Would there be anything you would change?

1 comment:

  1. This is actually very surprising to me. I might have to try it. Did you enjoy the muffins?

    ReplyDelete