Sunday, January 3, 2016

Healthy Cooking: Jambalaya

     
          After going to visit family over winter break, I learned a lot about my more distant relatives, specifically what they ate. In my previous post I spoke about my families bad eating habits, well it turns out, it wasn't just us. During the duration of my trip, I grew more and more aware of the food I was being fed. Once I was completely conscious about the terribly unhealthy food we were eating, I decided to take advantage of the moment once again and make a change.
 
         Before New Years Eve, my aunt decided that she wanted to cook a nice meal for all of the relatives that would be coming later. She suggested that we make something that would remind the guests of home, since they had traveled from across the country. I suggested that we make Jambalaya; "a assorted dish of chicken, vegetables and sauces." (Clendinen, 24) Except we would be using healthier ingredients instead.

To get started you need:

  • 8 oz. chicken breast, diced
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 large red bell pepper
  • 1 large green pepper
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of any tomato sauce (I used Bertolli Organic Tomato Sauce)
  • 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
         
       I know that this may seem like a lot but trust me, every ingredient plays in important role in the end product, which was pretty good if you ask me.

Preparation:
  1. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add in onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. 
  2. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add in sausage and chicken, and heat until meat is cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
  4. Now stir in all the remaining ingredients, except for the shrimp. Mix well. 
  5. Lower heat to medium, cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes, or until rice is soft.
  6. Adjust seasonings as desired. Add in more chicken if desired, and continue to simmer until it's cooked thoroughly. Serve hot.




       This recipe was not only enjoyed by me, but enjoyed by my entire family. It was exactly as it said it would be, a "healthy, savory and satisfyingly delicious meal for many to enjoy" (Clendinen, 24) I recommend this recipe to anyone who knows people like my family who aren't really into healthy eating, because if there was ever a good way to start the road to healthy eating, it would be with this dish.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like it tastes really good, I want to try making it. It does seem like a really great way to get into healthy cooking/eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it tastes really good, I want to try making it. It does seem like a really great way to get into healthy cooking/eating.

    ReplyDelete