Monday, January 25, 2016

Weird yet dope braids

For my last blog post I wanted to try some of the braids that I was scared to try before. I first tried the leave out braid, then the upside-down braid. Both of these styles actually took me a month to master, this is why I had to make it my last one. These two styles I tried out on my soccer team mates, on our trip to Spokane. First up was the leave out braid, it is a french braid, but you only take out a little piece of hair, then skip a few inches down and grab another. It is difficult to explain in words, but the point of it is to look like a cool pattern, rather than to pull your hair back. At first this braid is quite simple, you start of with just a normal braid, next from the book I read, "Carefully grab a small section of hair and bring it to the braid, repeat this like a french braid. It's pretty much the same except you  have to go down an inch before you take another piece, making a noticeable gap in the braid" (Smith 1222). At first when I read this I was very confused, but after I tried and looked at the pictures it made sense. It took me 17 tries, but finally I got what it is supposed to look like:
This is my good Friend Katherine, (our right mid) everyone say "Thanks for modeling Kat". OK Now that one wasn't too hard for me, it was time to do the scariest of all, the upside down braid. I have tried this before and failed. It is a french braid on the back of your head instead of the top, typically girls will do this when they have their hair in a pony-tail, for instance I have seen girls do this for soccer. I did not really know how to go about this braid, but my book had some suggestions for doing this on someone else. "Have the model lay on a bed or some sort of flat surface, you must be above them. Make sure they tuck their chin in, and have all of their hair forward" (Smith 1734). I combined this new technique with what I have already learned about French braiding from my first post. Surprisingly it turned out really cool! a big thank you to Taylor for modeling (her hair is colored and it makes it look cool) Well that is all for my blogs, I hope everyone learned some valuable tips on braids because I sure did! I challenge you ladies or dudes with long hair to try rocking some cool braids to school! Bye guys!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued by the look of this hairstyle. The braid is cool how it only takes up part of the hair. I have to admit this looks really neat and well done. I give you props. But I feel like you should of done the braid on yourself to show off the new haircut and your glow-up. I can't wait until my hair is this long and I can braid it up. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I never thought of hair styles to be an individual art, and I was wrong. You have taken normal hair, and made something more special out of it, which in all of its glory, is certainly artistic. Now, I'm not saying i'm going to pursue the art of hair conjugation, but still, this is admirable. Well done Corlyn.

    ReplyDelete