Saturday, January 16, 2016

Scary Kawaii?

Due to an injury I sustained on my drawing hand, I haven’t been able to draw for the past 5 weeks. I was worried that it would be difficult to start drawing again, but it was actually quite easy. I really enjoy this drawing style, as it’s fun and simple to do.

A major part of kawaii drawings are dark and gothic characters. They're not usually thought of in a cute way, but kawaii versions are seen as humorous. Dark animals, devils, witches and skeletons are all popular evil character types. For these characters, the author states that although they have many unique features, "sometimes, only one or two elements... are enough." (Hart 92)
Only the horns, tail, and colors are needed to identify this character as a devil.
Skeletons, or dead characters in general seem like a hard thing to make cute. With this art style, it actually isn't hard at all. For example, I drew a skeleton puppy. The big, hollow eyes immediately gave the dog an adorable appearance. Once I added the big cheeks, to give the impression that his mouth was full, there was no way of making this scary looking.
Why do you think these kind of dark characters are popular among kawaii fans?

1 comment:

  1. I'm very impressed with your drawing skills, especially after just getting over an injury! I think this style of kawaii is very unique and that the contrast between cute and dark is very interesting. Two polar opposites, but somehow it's a concept that still works out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete