Friday, January 22, 2016

Connor Anderson: Tip# 76: write a resume

"97 Things To Do Before You Finish High School"
Chapter: Because You Should
Tip #13: "Write a Resume" (Jenkins 164)

This is a pretty ironic theme for my post, but it fits perfectly. Since we all just made resumes, this seemed to be a perfect fit because everyone can relate to it. I had a previous resume that I used, but will a little work and advice from Mrs. Meara, my new resume looks much more professional. Instead of talking about making my resume, I thought I would talk more about the additions and modifications that I made to my new resume.


The writing process for the resume wasn't very difficult, but it took time to make it visually appealing and still include everything to make it a strong argument for why you should get the job when an employer reads it. My original resume has categories similar to the ones Mrs. Meara taught us, but I added things to my new one that I would have never thought of before. The new resume has many more things listed that make me sound better (even though that sounds bad). Mrs. Meara showed us to add things like our ability to write well or talk in front of a large audience, which makes us sound more professional. "Oftentimes, a manager won't be able to meet your dazzling self when you've chosen to drop by, but if you drop off a killer resume, she can read it later and call you for an interview" (Jenkins 164). This quote from the book tells us exactly what Mrs. Meara was preparing our resume's for... to look good to the reader without even meeting us. we add little things here and there and make it look all organized just to represent ourselves in a good light with out even meeting us.

This before and after shows a lot of improvement. Even though the book I read didn't really help me at all with the resume writing process, it gave me a good idea of what I would use my resume for and real life ideas of why resumes are useful, written by successful people that know a thing or two about a good resume. In my after photo, you can see that I added many things like previous work, sports awards, volunteer work, and dates. I think that the dates was the biggest improvement for my organization because it gives it a better looking professional look.

All in all, the resume writing process isn't too hard as long as you have guidelines that you stick to, but as Mrs. Meara and my book emphasize, a professional essay shows a lot about who you are just by the way it looks and the quality of the content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment